Wednesday, May 30, 2007
 

Send Off


Shnakvorum, rikoyoch! (Welcome, friends),

The day has come. Finally I'm ready to send my completed novel, Starfire, off to the agents I've targeted. Who would have thought there were agents out there in this day and age who still wanted you to correspond with them via snail mail? But there are, plus a few publishers I figured I'd try as well.

Most seem to only want a simple query letter, but a few asked for some chapters, one publisher even wanted the complete manuscript printed out and mailed to them! So just as soon as this post is finished I'll be headed to the post office to send them all off.

This whole process has been a very interesting learning process. I used to think that publishing a book was as simple as finishing it and just sending it off. But the more I looked into publishers and agents the more I discovered I had to come up with such vile things as synopses and queries (can you imagine stuffing all the nuances of a 100,000 word novel into a paragraph?)

Thank goodness for the Internet and various writing books to help with research on all that. Otherwise I'm not sure what I would have done. But I pushed on through and here's what I ended up with as far as a summary for Starfire:

Rathe of Yanguch has fought his entire life to rise out of his low hatch status. When he wins a spot in the Imperial Light Infantry, he hopes his days of struggle are behind him. But when he discovers an ancient artificial intelligence (A. I.) that imprints him as its protector, he finds himself at the center of a fierce struggle as opposing forces seek him out in hopes of turning the A. I. to their own ends. Ultimately, Rathe is faced with a terrible choice: Destroy the artificial intelligence and doom his Empire, or use it to activate the mysterious Starfire, and doom his world.

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date with how my path to finding an agent goes.

-- S-man



Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Woohoooo!!! Can't wait to hear what happens! Praying for you!
Posted by Blogger Dineen A. Miller : 6:48 PM
 
Congratulations, S-Man. What a feat!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:25 PM
 
Look forward to reading your book when it's published. What a lot of work it all seems to be.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:26 PM
 
Congrats. - Bob
Posted by Blogger kc bob : 12:44 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home