Wednesday, March 14, 2007
 

Hotel or No Hotel?


Howdy, it's Jake. Been awhile since I made an appearance.

Just to get you caught up on me. Mable and Duke are doing just fine. For a woman who didn't want a dog in her house, those two are as close as stacked crackers. Sometimes I think Mable might even prefer to sleep with Duke over me, although she ain't said so. It's just those looks she gives me when I do something wrong. She never gives Duke looks like that.

Maybe that 'cause he don't leave his dirty clothes all over the floor.

Anyway, the latest thing around here is the hotel. Or maybe hotel. Some slick developer from outta state has come in and wants to build one near the city beach. That would put it just a couple blocks from Java Joint. A hotel full of tourists would be a good thing for businesses on Main Street, no doubt. But what about the other issues, like a building taking up the skyline where only the sky used to be? Lots more people to deal with. I don't know. I got friends on both sides. At first I was totally against the idea. But the city council keeps sayin' how much tax dollars Kanner Lake would get, and the business owners talk about the extra pennies in their pockets, and I know some of 'em are struggling. So we definitely got ourselves an issue.

Folks are downright fighting about this thing. There's a faction for it, lobbying hard and long. And a faction agin it, also lobbying. You'd think Washington D.C. upended a bunch a loud folks in Kanner Lake or something.

There's gonna be a vote on it--I don't know when. Maybe sometime next month. The newspaper's full of the story, people arguing on both sides. I tell you what, town's gettin' hot all over again. And so soon after the trial and all. I'm thinking we should all just calm down a little.

Can't wait for summer. I just wanna go fishin'.


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Yes, I remember Jared mentioning this issue awhile ago. I suppose a hotel would change the nature of Kanner Lake, no doubt. But, oh, the business it could bring...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:20 AM
 
I'd vote for it. A hotel and tourists isn't the same kind of growth as thousands more people moving to town. Then you get traffic problems and more. But tourists? THey'd come with money in their pockets.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:22 AM
 
I agree with R.J.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:23 AM
 
Well, you know I'm for it. More tourists=more people possibly looking for houses in the area.
Posted by Blogger Carla Radling : 10:26 AM
 
Jake and I go round and round on this one. I don't know what in tarnation got him thinkin' the other direction. We don't need no hotel. People want to come visit--terrific. They can stay in plenty of B&Bs around here.

They can come visit Java Joint, long as they don't sit on my stool.

Then they can get on back home.
Posted by Blogger Wilbur Hucks : 10:29 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home