Thursday, March 29, 2007
 

Breaking the Silence


Howdy, Wilbur here. I decided to break the silence since nobody else around her feels like posting. Not that I do much, either. But I do have some things to say.

Before all hell broke loose last week, I was working on a post, and Carla was typing for me. I threw that one out for now, though. After everything that went on here, it just ain’t important.

Mostly I wanted to say that Vesta Johnson was a friend of mine. I respected her, and so did the rest of the town. If anybody could get me in a church, it was Vesta. I’ve had my share of problems with church-goers not actin’ like the Christians they say they are. Vesta wasn’t one of them. She lived what she talked. In fact, she lived more than she talked, which is the way I figure it should be.

You should have heard the eulogies at Vesta’s funeral. People were asked to stand up and say something if they wanted, and that part just went on and on. So many had great things to say about her. How she took food to them when they were sick. How she always had a kind word. How folks looked forward to waving to her every day as she took her walk through the neighborhood.

Listening to all that, it made me wonder what folks would say about me after I’m gone. Not sure I want to be around to hear it. But I guess I won’t have to worry about that.

Second thing I want to say is—I know you all heard on the news how there were some pretty strange goings-on around here connected to the murders. I ain’t been one to believe in stuff like that, but this whole thing convinced me. Pastor Hank says he’s going to be preachin’ on the subject for a number of weeks. I figure I’ll head on over to New Community Church and hear what he’s got to say. The longer I live, the more confusing this world gets. I’m thinkin’ that’s not a good thing. It ought to be gettin’ clearer as I get closer to meetin’ my Maker. So I aim to get a few things straight between me and God.

That said—just remember: the fourth stool at the Java Joint counter still belongs to Wilbur Hucks. Some things just don’t need to change.


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
I'm sorry for you losing a friend, Wilbur. Sounds like Vesta was a friend to many. And I know she's not the only person Kanner Lake lost.

Thanks for the post.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:07 AM
 
Wilbur, I loved your post. Thanks for your vulnerability, and...for still being Wilbur.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:09 AM
 
Wilbur, you made me get teary-eyed, think, and smile--all from one post. Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:27 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home