Tuesday, March 20, 2007
 

Birthday Shopping


Bev here, wondering: What do you get for a stubborn old lady who has everything except the one thing I can't give her?

I've visited every shop from Kanner Lake to Coeur d'Alene--it was worse than one of those all-day shopping trips on which Angie dragged me. Or used to, before she got so caught up in that woman's health club thing.

I stopped at Simple Pleasures first. Sarah and Paige both tried to help. But while there were many beautiful and tempting things Angie would have loved--the jewelry boxes, chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, coffee-scented candles--none of them seemed quite right. Sara also suggested a gift certificate, but that's a bit impersonal coming from me, I thought.

So I tried other gift shops, but none of them had anything nearly as nice as Simple Pleasures. As for their service--I won't mention anything other than that Sarah ought to hold workshops to teach those owners how to properly run their stores.

I moved on to bookstores next. I looked at new books and used books. Fat books and thin books. Classics and even a few of those modern stories that makes one blush to look at the cover. Honestly, what were those publishers thinking!

Then I checked out certificates for fancy restaurants, but with Angie's current gym fetish, that seemed only impersonal and cruel. I considered flowers, but they soon die. In desperation, I even went into pet shops to look at leashes and toys for Cosmos. Nothing. The whole trip seemed to have been futile.

But as I drove back to Kanner Lake, I saw it. The perfect gift for Angie. So perfect that I got two. But I can't tell you anything more than that until Angie's birthday. We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, now would we? But I bet you can't guess what it is.

--Bev Trexel

Bev's Tidbits:

Word of the Day: Futile--an adjective meaning of no use, completely ineffective; frivolous

Grammar Rule of the Week: Use who when it is the subject of the following clause and whom when it is the direct objective of the following clause.

Classic Book: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Poem of the Month: "Journey of the Magi" by T. S. Eliot


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Now Bev, you didn't have to work that hard. I told you that all I wanted was for you to come with me to the gym for a week. It's really fun and you'll feel great. Talk about stubborn.
Posted by Anonymous angie brendt : 7:22 AM
 
You got two of them? Hm, let'e see.

Bathing suits in her new small size.
Posted by Anonymous e. smythe : 10:05 AM
 
Fancy candlesticks for a romantic dinner with her "friend."
Posted by Anonymous elizabeth monty : 10:06 AM
 
Why is the poem of the month "Journey of the Magi?" Is this a clue?

I know--you got her two camels...
Posted by Anonymous trixie : 10:07 AM
 
Two? Do you mean one for her and one for you? If so, I'd say special coffee mugs. You'll take them to Java Joint to drink your lattes.
Posted by Anonymous fred wiley : 10:08 AM
 
Angie's looking so fabulous as she's losing weight, I think she deserves some new clothes.

Two new pairs of pants, maybe?
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 10:57 AM
 
Try again.
Posted by Blogger Bev Trexel : 12:43 PM
 
Barbells--for working out. One for each hand.

Hah! Bet that's it!
Posted by Anonymous debbie : 12:44 PM
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home