Tuesday, March 20, 2007
 

Birthday Shopping


Bev here, wondering: What do you get for a stubborn old lady who has everything except the one thing I can't give her?

I've visited every shop from Kanner Lake to Coeur d'Alene--it was worse than one of those all-day shopping trips on which Angie dragged me. Or used to, before she got so caught up in that woman's health club thing.

I stopped at Simple Pleasures first. Sarah and Paige both tried to help. But while there were many beautiful and tempting things Angie would have loved--the jewelry boxes, chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, coffee-scented candles--none of them seemed quite right. Sara also suggested a gift certificate, but that's a bit impersonal coming from me, I thought.

So I tried other gift shops, but none of them had anything nearly as nice as Simple Pleasures. As for their service--I won't mention anything other than that Sarah ought to hold workshops to teach those owners how to properly run their stores.

I moved on to bookstores next. I looked at new books and used books. Fat books and thin books. Classics and even a few of those modern stories that makes one blush to look at the cover. Honestly, what were those publishers thinking!

Then I checked out certificates for fancy restaurants, but with Angie's current gym fetish, that seemed only impersonal and cruel. I considered flowers, but they soon die. In desperation, I even went into pet shops to look at leashes and toys for Cosmos. Nothing. The whole trip seemed to have been futile.

But as I drove back to Kanner Lake, I saw it. The perfect gift for Angie. So perfect that I got two. But I can't tell you anything more than that until Angie's birthday. We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, now would we? But I bet you can't guess what it is.

--Bev Trexel

Bev's Tidbits:

Word of the Day: Futile--an adjective meaning of no use, completely ineffective; frivolous

Grammar Rule of the Week: Use who when it is the subject of the following clause and whom when it is the direct objective of the following clause.

Classic Book: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Poem of the Month: "Journey of the Magi" by T. S. Eliot


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Now Bev, you didn't have to work that hard. I told you that all I wanted was for you to come with me to the gym for a week. It's really fun and you'll feel great. Talk about stubborn.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:22 AM
 
You got two of them? Hm, let'e see.

Bathing suits in her new small size.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:05 AM
 
Fancy candlesticks for a romantic dinner with her "friend."
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:06 AM
 
Why is the poem of the month "Journey of the Magi?" Is this a clue?

I know--you got her two camels...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:07 AM
 
Two? Do you mean one for her and one for you? If so, I'd say special coffee mugs. You'll take them to Java Joint to drink your lattes.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:08 AM
 
Angie's looking so fabulous as she's losing weight, I think she deserves some new clothes.

Two new pairs of pants, maybe?
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 10:57 AM
 
Try again.
Posted by Blogger Bev Trexel : 12:43 PM
 
Barbells--for working out. One for each hand.

Hah! Bet that's it!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:44 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home