Monday, February 05, 2007
 

Superbowl 41


Hi, Carla here. Did I watch the Superbowl? Of course. Didn't everybody? Given the crazy bunch I was with, I didn't just watch it, I lived it. I was at some friends' house, and they threw a true Superbowl party. Lots of people, lots of food and drink. Plus one couple had gone to school in Chicago, and another couple was raised in Indiana, so we had people yelling for both teams. It was a fun afternoon, even for someone like me who doesn't get into football all that much.

No doubt the men at that party could give you a blow-by-blow account of the plays. Who did what, who ran so far, who kicked so great, whatever. I couldn't tell you any of that stuff. Here's what stood out to me:

Best play: Okay, I said I couldn't name any, but I can name one. That very first play. A kick-off, run all the way down the field? Man, even I got excited at that one.

Best commercial: Hands down, the “mouse” commercial for Blockbuster. I kept waiting to see it again, but they only showed it once. You wait. Everybody’ll be talking about that one today. I laughed so hard I nearly squirted Coke out of my nose.

Best new advertised product: What in the world has taken technology this long?!! Bring on the Chrysler car with the heated cup holders! Just think--no more cooled-off lattes from Java Joint!

Worst commercial: The two guys “kissing” while eating a Snickers bar. Something tells me you're gonna be hearing some water cooler talk about that one…

Worst halftime artist: Prince? Are you kidding me? So many great singers and bands out there, and they had to pick a guy who doesn’t even know what to call himself? Okay, I liked his blue and orange outfit. Kicky mix of colors. But what was with the black do-rag? You think he put that on in the last minute just to keep his perfect curls from getting wet?

Most apropos halftime song: Purple Rain

Weirdest move
: What was with that funny leg-lift thing the Colts quarterback did every time he was about to get the ball? A strange-looking step with his left foot. Can anybody enlighten me?

MVP #1: Most Valuable Precipitation. Well, the rain, silly. It had more effect on the game than any one player, if you ask me.

MVP #2: Most Valuable Pigskin. Yeah, the dancing football. The one that bounced from arm to arm like it was greased. How many turnovers and fumbles did it manage to pull off, anyway?

Worst misnomer for a state (or maybe I should say "best"): Florida, the sunshine state? Yeah, right.


So there ya have it. Carla's blow-by-blow account. Did I miss any highlights?

Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
My favorite part was after the game when the winning coach said that he and the opposing coach were both Christians, and they had shown what it's like to be in such competition with each other with the Lord as their guide. What a witness!
Posted by Blogger Bailey Truitt : 10:45 AM
 
Yes, Bailey, I was just going to say the same thing.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:46 AM
 
Question: how many new Bud Lite commercials can you possibly see in one three-hour period? Answer--I lost count.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:47 AM
 
I saw the game with a bunch of friends. We ate a lot! :) I thought the Doritos commercials written by normal people (well, you know what I mean) weren't all that great.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:49 AM
 
The Superbowl is about FOOTBALL. What's all this talk about commercials?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:49 AM
 
Yay, Colts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:50 AM
 
I'm with Carla. The mouse commercial was the best. Other than that one, I thought the ads were kind of disappointing. (Sorry, R.J. The commercials have become a part of the Superbowl culture.)

I didn't have a stake in either team, but I thought the game was exciting. What a start! And really, unti the fourth quarter it was anyone's game.
Posted by Blogger ~ Brandilyn Collins : 10:54 AM
 
Hey, Carla, lay off Prince. What'd he ever do to you?
Posted by Blogger Leslie Brymes : 10:56 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home