Thursday, February 01, 2007
 

It's Done!


Rak Shool Yikra! (It is Done!)

Shnakvorum rikoyoch! (Greetings, friends!)

That's right! My first novel, Starfire, has been completed. I typed in the final words on January 25th at 3:04 p.m. at my little table in Bailey's most wonderful Java Joint. It was something of a surreal moment for me. I could have sworn I heard a Apatos trumpeting in triumph, but when I looked up from the computer screen everything in the Java Joint was quite normal.

Bailey was serving some coffee to some people on their way through for a weekend of skiing, while trying to keep Wilbur from showing his scar to them (unsuccessfully, mind you). Janet had come by to work on a blog entry, and was talking with Paige, who was picking up some drinks for herself and Sarah at Simple Pleasures.

Then, as if on cue, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked back at my table. Maybe it was the sudden silence after so many days of constant keys softly tapping away, or the scribble of pen on paper. Or maybe there's some kind of vibe that a just finished novel sends out that demands attention. I don't really know, but Bailey's squeal of joy was surely heard by half of Kanner Lake. Even if it wasn't with Java Joint being something of an unofficial news center for the town it wasn't long before word spread that Starfire was done and that the completion party was on for Friday the 26th.

I must admit I was very surprised at the turnout for the party. It seemed like half the county was trying to cram into Java Joint for the evening. Bailey and Sarah had gotten together and made a very wonderful cake decorated with little plastic dinosaurs. And then all the Java Joint regulars presented me with the latest edition of the Writers Market Guide. Agents, here I come!

It is times like this when I am so glad to live in a community like Kanner Lake, where friends share in each others' accomplishments. And though I'm not one to get all sentimental, I don't know if I could have ever finished this novel without the constant support (and yes, even the teasing) of everyone here in Kanner Lake. Their interest pushed me on, even when things got tough.

So thanks to everyone who's been here with me through the writing process. You have all made Sauria a better place, and I hope one day you'll get to see a bit of the world you influenced by influencing me.

-- S-man

-----------------------

Read the personal blog of the author of this post.


Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:06 PM
 
I second that. Congratulations, S-Man!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:07 PM
 
Hi, S-Man! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see Starfire on the shelves!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:08 PM
 
So now will you stop the Sauria business and write that book about my life?
Posted by Blogger Wilbur Hucks : 4:54 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home