Friday, February 02, 2007
 

Duke Takes the House


Well, finally! Here it is February--and this crew finally lets me make my first post of the year. I've been waiting every since December to fill you in on something.

In December I told the story of how the wife, Mable, got all upset when our pup, Duke, got a Christmas ornament hook stuck in his mouth. But I left out the first part. Before that, last you heard from me on the Duke subject was--Mable refused to let him in the house. So how did he get from the garage to the room where we keep our Christmas tree?

Happened like this. I was out in the garage messin' around. I thought I might be able to make me some homemade spinner bait. I got the idea watching Mable and that yackity friend of hers sittin' at the table makin' their foo-foo jewelry. They was using all kinds of glittery, shiny beads and it got me to thinking.

Since Bailey showed me about this bloggin' thing, I went out and got us a computer for home so I don't have to always bug Bailey to write my posts. Leslie showed me how to use Google and wouldn’t ya know it--there's a site to make spinner bait. Check it out: Fisherman's Shack (
http://www.fishermanshack.net/faq.htm) Lookie that little picture at the end of the page, that's what I've been making. Well, close to it anyway.

So Duke and I are out in the garage with Mable's beads and whatnots. Duke's got a bone and going to town on it. We're just as happy as can be, the two of us. Mable starts yellin' at me to come in the house and bring her beads with me. I took 'em in and had a talk with her. We decided I needed to buy my own beads. Well, she decided and I agreed. I poured me another cup of coffee and listened as Mable went on and on about everything that yackity friend of hers had said.

"Shh!!" I said.

"Jake Tremaine! Don’t you shush me."

"No. No. Mable, listen. Y'hear that?"

She cocked her ear over. Then she jumped up from the table and ran to the back door and yelled, "It’s Duke!"

I followed her out the door and there was Duke, lyin' in the middle of the yard, head down, cryin'. (We have a doggy door in the garage for him, so he can get in and out.) I called him to come to my but he just laid there. Mable started to get nervous and ran to his side and was there before I could get off the porch (and she tells me she don't like Duke.)

"Jake Tremaine! Look what you've done to this poor puppy!"

"What? What'd I do?"

I don't know how he did it. Duke's paw was up on his lip and his tongue was hanging to the side all funny. I looked closer to see a fishing hook laced through his paw, lip, and tongue. If I didn't feel so bad for the little fella it would've been hilarious. Mable was furious. "Get that thing out of that poor puppy and don't you leave stuff laying around like that."

"All the stuff was up on the workbench. I don't know how he got it."

"Then don't leave him in the same room with it."

"But, Mable, you told me he's got to stay in the garage, and that's where all the stuff is."

So I got the hook out and Duke's fine. He's a trooper. I went to the store and got my own beads. And Mable lifted her rule about not lettin' Duke in the house. 'Course then he goes and gets a Christmas ornament hook stuck in him. I think the dog's just hooked on hooks. Anyway, he earned his place in the house, and now Mable's so stuck on that dog she hardly lets him out of her sight. He even sits and listens while she yakkity-yaks away with that friend of hers. Now that's patience.

-- Jake

---------------------------
Read the personal blog of the author of this post.

Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
I think that dog's smarter than you think. He knew the hook would get him into the house. He "hooked" both you and Mable.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:11 AM
 
I agree. Looks like you have your hands full, Jake. Let's hope he doesn't want a gold doghouse next. He'll find a way to get it.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:13 AM
 
There you go, Jake. A dog that'll listen to all the female yakking--so you don't have to. Sounds like a deal to me.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:28 PM
 
I think you should take Duke over to play with Cosmos--and let play in the same room with Bev's new talking bird. That would make quite an animal party.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:29 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home