Thursday, February 22, 2007
 

Angie Gets Cornered


Angie here again. I apologize for it being so long between posts, but I think the whole town has felt like we've been stuck in a time warp with the trial going on. I'm so happy for Paige. I just hope and pray that she stays here, we've come to love her so. It's too bad she's a little young for my son, Frank Jr.

And don't listen to Bev about Talkatoo. She talks about that silly bird all the time. "Do you know what Talkatoo did last night? Isn't he the smartest bird you ever heard of?" She goes on and on. She loves that bird, but she will never admit it.

Kanner Lake is growing, you know. Last fall, a good friend of mine, Dimples Wright, opened up a new ladies gym in the old hardware store just off Main Street. Her husband owns the building, and when the hardware store closed, she thought it would be fun to open a little gym for the Kanner Lake ladies. Dimples is a retired history and gym teacher, and is in amazing shape for a lady of our era. Of course, not everyone has the same idea of fun.

After the pie explosion last fall, which was followed by the Angie explosion, Dimples stopped by Java Joint one morning and joined Bev and me for coffee. Of course hers was a cup of herbal tea with a fruit cup. Bev must have seen trouble coming, because she quickly excused herself and hurried out to an "appointment." Dimples and I continued to catch up on our families and everything. What I didn't know was she had a hidden agenda.

"I saw your post in the blog about your exercise program," she said, moving her index finger up and down, demonstrating my favorite workout.

"Did you like it? I'm really enjoying writing in the blog, but I'm not enjoying these extra pounds. But it's almost impossible to lose weight at my age."

"I love your posts, but I do have to disagree with you on one point Angie, you have not always been plump. You may have carried an extra 5 pounds or so, now and again, but you were never fat."

"I am now, and no matter how much I laugh and giggle, I hate looking at myself in the mirror. How do you stay so svelte? You have the figure of a 20-year-old."

"Trust me, I'm far from perfect, but I do try to eat right and stay in shape. I still work out every day and I just opened a new women only gym in the old hardware store. Rusty and I own it outright, so I don't have all the overhead, so I thought it would be fun to open a little gym and have a place to stay in shape. I've trained a couple of women who used to commute with me to the gym in Coeur d'Alene, and we’re going great guns. Why don't you come by and give it a try?"

Trapped. Cornered. My mind was racing. How do I get out of this one?

I'm sure that Dimples knew exactly what was going on in my mind, because she quickly moved ahead and continued, "Let’s make a date for 2:00 this afternoon. I'll take you through the circuit, weigh you in, and we can start you on a food and exercise plan. It won't hurt, I promise. I think you'll have fun."

What can you say after that? She knows my schedule. "Sure, if you really think it will help. Even David said I looked different."

"Wonderful! And I bet when you're done David won't be able to keep his eyes off of you."

Me and my big mouth. "It's not like that, really we're just friends."

"Of course, if you say so. Oh, my goodness, look at the time! I have to run and relieve Maki so she can take a break. I'll see you this afternoon." And off Dimples flew.

Of course I went, and I had a great time. I don't know how she did it, but Dimples had half the retired school teachers there, several moms, and even a little area for the kids and a college girl to watch them. Wow! She had only been open for a week, but had she ever been making the rounds.

As for me, it's been about 10 weeks and I've already lost 18 lbs and 2 dress sizes. I'm feeling better than I have in years. Missy (my daughter Melissa) noticed when she was doing my hair yesterday and was really impressed. Frank Jr. asked me if I've changed my hair, (answer-no), and a certain dinner companion has commented on how well I'm looking and whistles at me whenever he sees me. People are just now starting to really notice. Yes, it was little hard with the holidays, but the gym is such a great little place, it's like going to meet my friends every day. I might even start teaching classes soon.

Oh, I almost forgot. I found my old jeans and top that I was wearing when I met my Frank at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, back in '67. You know, I might just get back in them. Eat your heart out, Goldie Hawn.


Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Good for you, Angie! Go for it!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 5:33 PM
 
Hi, Angie. Thanks for telling folks about my gym. You're doing great there!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 5:34 PM
 
Angie, I have to say you are looking fabulous these days. Wish I had your discipline.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:20 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home