Wednesday, January 17, 2007
 

New Years Resolutions of a Retired English Teacher


Well, finally, we're back on. None of us took too kindly to our blog being hijacked. Computers. Really, I think the world was better without them. Anyway, although it's rather late now to run a New Years resolution post--it's what I had ready two weeks ago; therefore 'tis what you will get:

If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it, as my mother always said. So it’s about time that I start exercising this mind of mine before I lose it--like certain other people I know. So here are ten of my New Year resolutions:

1. Clean out the boxes leftover from teaching.


2. Sign up for one of those high-tech word-a-day lists.

3. Buy an updated copy of my writing manual.

4. Memorize one grammar rule every week.

5. Read two classic books every month.

6. Write a book analysis every month for the library’s “What’s New?” newsletter.

7. Memorize a new poem once a month.

8. Encourage my best friend to stretch her literary horizons once a week.

9. Post biweekly how my resolutions are going.

10. Write a 1,000-word essay on why anyone would be crazy enough to keep these resolutions.

As you can see, I'd rather just ring in the new year and leave it at that.

--Bev Trexel

Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Woohoo! Welcome back, Scenes and Beans. Missed you guys. :-)

I like #10 best. So, how long can we "ring" the New Year in? :-)
Posted by Blogger Dineen A. Miller : 11:11 AM
 
Who says I need to stretch my literary horizons?
Posted by Blogger Angie Brendt : 11:23 AM
 
What's this "like certain other people I know?" I know a jibe when I see it, Bev Trexel. Here I am, just mindin' my own business, and you have to start a fight.
Posted by Blogger Wilbur Hucks : 11:25 AM
 
Oh, so glad to see you all are back. It's been too quiet without you.

Wilbur, I don't see that Bev used your name anywhere. Might you be a bit too defensive?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:28 AM
 
I have one to add to your list Bev:

11. Quit trying to run best friend's life - she really doesn't appreciate it.

BTW - Bev's idea of stretching literary horizons is classic books and non-fiction. Personally, I love fiction, suspense, historic, chick-lit, legal dramas, etc. The authors don't have to be dead for it to be a good story, and many will be classics one day.

Speaking of books, you know all the stuff that's gone on here lately would make a great book!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:18 PM
 
Oh, we're back on. Yay!
Posted by Blogger Sarah Wray : 5:25 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home