Friday, January 26, 2007
 

A Gift in Turn


Happy New Year, everyone! Angie here again. Actually, we're already almost clean through January, but time has just zoomed by, ever since Thanksgiving.

I don't know how I'll ever have time to keep up with this blog, what with my new little puppy-friend and all. I named him Cosmos, because he causes the most trouble you can imagine for a puppy. (My first name of "Killer" was just a little too harsh for the little guy.) Every time I turn around, he's chewing on something or chasing one of Nutty's family members. Those poor little squirrels!

As much as I love Cosmos, I knew I needed a special gift for Bev to thank her properly. I couldn't go out and just get her another dog. That would be boring, wouldn't it? I thought about a monkey, too, but they are just too expensive--and besides, with all the legal stuff about transporting them, I just didn't have the gumption to pull it off. So, I did something even better.

I asked Bev to doggy-sit for me while I did some shopping in Post Falls. I could tell she was more than happy to do it for me, as she just loves the pooch. Almost as much as I do. Little did she know I was on a mission to get her a present she'll never forget.

There's a quirky old lady in Post Falls that sells exotic birds. I saw her on the news last summer. So, after I dropped off the pooch, I drove down there to find the loudest, most obnoxious bird she had.

And what a find! The lady, Mrs. Abrahms, was only too happy to show me her array of birds. I settled on a Lutino cockatiel, a beautiful white bird with an orange and yellow face. Mrs. Abrahms even threw in a starter cage for free. It seemed like she was only too happy to get rid of this feathery creature.

I wrapped the cage carefully with a towel, then carried it out to the car. I put it in the front seat, then secured it with a seatbelt. When we had gotten on the road and the car had warmed up some, I pulled down the towel. I figured I had only a short time to train it, so I'd better give it some intense lessons.

The whole way home I repeated only one phrase out loud. "Bev should mind her own business." The bird was silent, though I wished with all my might he'd repeat it--just once.

Pulling into Kanner Lake, I decided to grab some coffee. I pulled up to Java Joint and parked. Wilber was razzing Carla again. "Wilber, you old coot," I muttered. I covered the bird up and slipped inside for a peppermint mocha.

Ten minutes later, on the drive over to Bev's house, I left the bird covered up. If he hadn't learned to say, "Bev should mind her own business," by now, more talking lessons wouldn't do any good, anyway. I consoled myself with the thought of the mere presence of the bird. Surely it would be more than enough to get my point across, right? I could hardly wait to see the look on her face.

Bev opened her door and I could hear Cosmos barking to be let out of the back room. She peeked out, and her eyes were drawn immediately to the covered cage in my hand.

"I'm back!" I beamed, trying hard to suppress a chuckle.

She did not look as amused as I was. "What is that you've got there, Angie Brent?"

"Just a little present for my best friend."

I breezed past her, ignoring the barking dog and her squeaky protests. After I set the cage on the table, I yanked off the cover.

For a moment, we all stared at each other in shocked silence. The bird blinked his eyes, taking in his new surroundings. Cosmos was quiet on the other side of the door, as if he could sense something monumental was occurring. I stood there, an all-too-pleased-with-myself grin stretching across my face.

For the first time in her life, Bev was speechless. She looked as though she could burst, but fought hard to maintain her composure.

Finally, the bird broke the silence. It turned out I'd taught him to say something after all. "You old coot!"


Posted by Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Oh, this is funny! But what happened? Did Bev keep the bird? We need another post...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:43 AM
 
Sure she kept it. Can you imagine what fun you could have with a bird like that?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:44 AM
 
That bird knows who the "old coot" really is.
Posted by Blogger Wilbur Hucks : 10:44 AM
 
Bev, why don't you bring the bird to Java Joint? Like it ain't noisy enough in there already with Wilbur around.
Posted by Blogger Jake Tremaine : 5:00 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home