Friday, December 01, 2006
 

Big Boy Buck--Part 2


So there I was on the ground with my bow tied up, and I was sawin' away. I cut my bow free, afraid to unlatch it because of the awful metallic clang that would echo all over tarnation. I got my bow in my hand, steadied the arrow, and looked Big Boy Buck straight in the eye.

He grunted and stomped his foot, accepting the challenge of our meeting eyes. Now I ain't never got buck fever before. Big Boy Buck is a special case, though. He's the biggest whitetail I've ever seen that ain't been on the pages of my huntin' magazine my dear wife's always throwing away. My hands started shakin' and sweat dripped down my forehead. If I could just get a good shot, Big Boy Buck'd be in the record book for sure and he'd be mounted on my wall.

One thing's for sure about my lovely wife, she loves venison. and boy does she know how to cook it. People come from all over the county to get her recipes. So she doesn't mind me hunting. That's the good thing about women in Idaho. They ain't afraid of hardly nothin'. Wish I wasn't afraid of Big Boy Buck, but the way he was snortin' and stompin' and carryin' on, I thought he was gonna ram that huge rack of his in my chest.

I took a deep breath and got my hands to quit their shakin'. I drew back and released. Whoosh. The arrow went right over his back and he didn't even flinch. I know he heard it 'cause he took a step towards me and snorted a snort I'm still havin' nightmares about. I still can't believe I missed. I moved as slow as I could and got another arrow. I drew back and held it. I wasn't gonna miss again. No Siree Bob. I heard somethin' rustlin' behind me and I was in quite the conundrum. Do I take my eyes off Big Boy Buck? Well, it didn't take long for me to decide. All the commotion from behind got the best of me. I turned slow as ever.

There stood the ole Boy's doe. Seems he wasn't snorting at me, he was puttin' on a show for the lovely lady. He didn't even know I was there. I guess the rut's come a bit early this year. Now if you don't know it, this is a bad time of year for the ole bucks. Those doe's and their feminine wiles have the bucks so dumb and crazy they don't pay attention to nothin'. Seems that's why Mr. B3 didn't hear that arrow whizzin' over his back.

So my arrow's still drawn and I figure now's the time to get 'em while the object of his affection is behind me wooing him. Wouldn't ya know it. I hear another ruckus behind me. I was thinkin' it was just another doe trying to get B3's eye, when all of a sudden somethin' is jumpin on my back. Liked to scare me half to death. The arrow went flyin' out from my bow. I dropped the bow and thought I was gonna get ate by some creature of the forest because I felt something wet all over my neck. Turns out somehow little Duke got out of his kennel and decided to meet me out in the woods for a little playtime. Dadgum pup. He was all over me lickin' and and 'jumpin'. At first I was madder than I've been in a year of Sundays 'til I realized that Duke jumpin' on me and releasin' that arrow was the luckiest shot a man's ever made.


B3 was down.

I'm waiting for my Boone and Crockett s
core on ol' Big Boy Buck. Y'all should be proud to have a hunter of my stature amongst you.



Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
You shot a man in love. Oh, the inhumanity!
Posted by Blogger Heather : 9:16 AM
 
So Leslie, when are you and Jared coming by to take my picture for that front page story?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:17 AM
 
Jake, don't you think it's kind of sad that beautiful buck is now gone? I thought the thrill was in the chase...
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 9:18 AM
 
When you get the head stuffed, Jake.

The deer's, not yours.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:20 AM
 
Duke gets to be in the picture, S-man. Leslie can even tell the story but I'm guessing she never thought she'd have to come take the picture.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:12 AM
 
Congrats on the game, Jake! That's terrific! I'd have that rack over my fireplace, no question.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:55 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home