Tuesday, November 07, 2006
 

What I Love About Fall


My mom has been organizing again, and she came across a few mementos from my childhood days, some of which she has posted on her refrigerator because they make her smile. Her favourite is the following two-line "essay" from my grade three class with Mrs. Campbell:

What I Love About Fall

I love the colors on the trees, warm clothes, hot chocolate, and baking with Mom. I also love seeing my own breath outdoors, and eating Thanksgiving dinner.

Not much has changed on that list, actually. I'd add stylish boots and accessories (like the cute scarf and glove set I found last November) but the rest still applies: bright red leaves throughout town, mixed with all the green of pines, tamaracks, and fir trees, which don't lose their leaves. Dressing in fancy sweaters; Bailey's perfectly mixed beverages; making cake, cookies and squares in Mom's cozy kitchen; making "smoke rings" in the chilly air; and the wonderful feast that is Thanksgiving with the Brymes family, with turkey, glazed ham, steamed veggies, fluffy mashed potatoes, and at least three varieties of pie.

Oh, and I can't forget my top fall activity: Christmas shopping! I love to start in October and gather ideas each time I go out. And the best place to find those perfect gifts is, of course, our own Sarah's great little Simple Pleasures store. (Only thing is, it'll be hard to shop for Sarah and Paige while they're working!)

What do you like about this season?

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Hot toddies. A fire in the evening. And oh, my, yes--the colors.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:37 AM
 
Leslie, you want to help me Christmas shop? That's always the dangdest job for me. I just don't know what to get Trudy. She practically has to tell me, and then it's not a surprise. For once I'd like to surprise her.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:38 AM
 
Football! What else is there?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:23 AM
 
Oh, I love changing the decor of Simple Pleasures over to fall. Such rich colors. I bring out all sorts of home decor items in burgundy and deep greens and pumpkin colors. The place is just beautiful--and lots of great seasonal items for sale.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 1:18 PM
 
I find it hard to think of the things I like about fall when here in New Zealand we are currently enjoying the warmth of spring.

During the cooler season I do enjoy curling up in front of the fire with a good novel in my hands. Mind you, when it's warm, I also enjoy sitting in the shade of a tree to read.

Enjoy your fall. Maybe one day I will be able to fly over and experience a white Christmas.
Posted by Blogger Illuminating Fiction : 1:20 PM
 
Tell you what, Venessa, you come take my white Christmas and I'll take your ocean one. Sounds like a great deal to me.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:07 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home