Thursday, November 09, 2006
 

Puppy Tails -- Part 2


Jake back with ya today. As I was saying yesterday, I got to the end of the row, and here's this puppy looking at me with old man's eyes. Looked like he'd lived a lifetime, but his paper said he was only ten weeks old.

Something about the pooch grabbed my heart. Told me he needed a home and mine was as good as any.

I snapped a leash on his collar. Tugged him out and walked him with the other two dogs to the exercise yard. While the other dogs charged around the fence, wild to run, this pup sidled up next to me. He brushed against my jeans then jumped up. He bounded as high as he could and only reached my knees. I scooped him up and rubbed him under the ears. In minutes he snuggled under my chin and stayed there.

Wouldn't ya know, he was in my lap as I headed home. The director said he was a Heinz 57. Probably had a bit o' lab and something else in him.

I stopped at the grocery and bought a bag of food. Pulled into the drive and let him out.

He tripped up the sidewalk and scampered up the porch stairs and into the house. His tongue hung out in a crazy grin. A look my wife did not match. She took one look at the little guy and pointed us out the door.

"No dogs in my clean house, mister." She only calls me mister when she's mad. And she's stuck on remembering my last dog that chewed up all her shoes. ("Pumps," she calls 'em. What a dumb name for shoes.)

Seems she thought we needed a pet like a hole in the head. So the pup's out in the garage tonight. I think a few licks and looks and the wife will be hooked. He's only dug one hole in her flowerbed so far. I don't think she's noticed. Maybe I can sneak him inside next time she's at her ladies Bible Study. Once he's there, she won't have the heart to kick him out. Pumps or no.

Now the pooch needs a name. I'm thinking Duke or Hunter. Won't be long and I can train him to work with me when I'm hunting. Whadya think?


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Better build a big doghouse, Jake, or heat the garage. Methinks there will be two of you in it.
Posted by Blogger Southern-fried Fiction : 7:00 AM
 
I thought Heinz 57 was a meat sauce.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:06 AM
 
Yes, I agree with Larry. I believe Jake must be pulling our legs.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:07 AM
 
LOL, you two are funny. A Heinz 57 refers to a mixed breed.

Don't know what to tell you, Jake. Bringing a dog home without clearing it with your wife first--not a good plan. Now you're going to have to live with the consequences.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 8:22 AM
 
Oh, that's a good one, S-Man. Better than naming the dog Girlfriend.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:12 AM
 
Oh, you guys never behave!

Jake, I think a dog would be great for you. I hope he'll end up staying. Duke and Hunter are pretty common names, though. How about Commodore or something interesting like that?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:51 PM
 
Commodore? Are you out of your mind, Angie? Short version would be Commy. Not a good thing in our country. Mid version would be Commode. Necessary item, but not something we have to be reminded of every time we call a canine.

Stick with Duke, Jake. Listen to that rhythm. Duke and Jake. They just go together.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:53 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home