Wednesday, November 08, 2006
 

Puppy Tails -- Part 1


Hi, Jake Tremaine here. I mentioned some time ago that I might go down to the SPCA one of these days to see about getting me a dog. Well, I did.

Let me tell you, it was quite the experience. I've always thought I loved animals. But they make you go through a background check before you can even water them. The agency takes their work quite seriously. Good for them.

Me, I just wanted to pet a pooch or two. Wrestle on the floor and play with 'em a little. There's a little exercise yard for the dogs. Folks who are considering a pet can take the dog out back and see what it's like outside the cages. [Bailey's trying to tell me cage ain't the right word, but as long as it's got fencing on all sides I'll call it a cage no matter the size].

The first day I took two or three dogs out at a time. The regular staff told me which ones could go together so I wouldn't get caught in a dog fight. I threw balls till I thought my arm would fall off.

After I'd had a couple days to recover, I went back. Anything's better than my wife's growing honey-do list. Seems each day she adds three things to it. By the end of the year it'll stretch clear to Washington.

When I got back last week, there were several new faces and some of the dogs I'd worked with had new homes. I went about my business. Grab a leash, unhook a door, coax the dog out, hook him up, and then grab the next little guy. Well, I got to the last group of 'em, which also included the last cage at the end of the row.

I reached his gate and just stared. There's this tiny fur ball sitting right at the door. Looking at me with the biggest eyes. And they were old eyes. As if the little guy had lived a lifetime already.

I guess you could say I was a goner at that point. Now if only I could get the missus to agree with me ...


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Uh-oh, Jake, you're in trouble. You mean to tell us you didn't ask permission before you started looking at dogs?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:13 AM
 
Watch it, Jake. "Tiny fur ball's" can grow into great big balls of trouble.

If your wife is like me, she won't allow a dog in her house.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:14 AM
 
Go for it, Jake. Bring home the biggest, dangdest dog you can find. Then when people tick me off, I can borrow the mutt and sic him on folk.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:08 AM
 
A dog is a great idea, Jake! It'll keep you company and give you LOTS to do--especially in you get a puppy. Like having a baby all over again.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 1:21 PM
 
Hi, S-Man! I haven't been around for awhile. It's Carly. Hope to see another post from you soon!

Mr. Tremaine, I hope you get an adorable puppy.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:16 PM
 
you could say I was a goner at that poing

Funny how that happens with the little ones hunh? Was it a Pomeranian?

Dee
Pomeranian Puppy Training
Posted by Blogger Dee : 5:03 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home