Friday, November 17, 2006
 

New Food Critic in Town


Leslie here. I might have a future as a food critic. I visited a restaurant in Coeur D'Alene recently with one of my friends, and the chef recognized me from the media coverage this past summer. She thought she'd try some new dishes on me and then had the bright idea that I should write out my thoughts so she could review them later and make any necessary changes. I didn't like the sound of it. What if I insulted her by my reaction to the food? And yet I wasn't sure how to refuse without sounding rude. It didn't help that my friend was all for the idea and encouraged the chef to send us any "culinary experiments." My friends are so helpful. ;)


A five-course meal appeared soon after, and the servers made sure we lacked for nothing. In return, I was honest with my assessment, even if I didn't like a dish. And believe me, I was nervous about that. Turned out it was a good choice. The chef was so impressed that she called Jared a couple of days later to run ads in our paper! She wasn't even offended that I called her Caesar salad "an artist's rendering, with nothing near the genius of the original." (Beautiful description, if I do say so myself. Perhaps a tad overkill when I could have just said "the lettuce wasn't as fresh as I expected and the dressing was a little strong," but I'm a writer and I could be said to have a flair for the dramatic.)

I have an open invitation to stop by that restaurant anytime I'm in Coeur d'Alene, and the chef has promised to visit Java Joint so I can introduce her to the gang there. Who knew a little taste-testing could do so much? And let me tell you something--the desserts at this particular restaurant are so good, I'll be going there every chance I get.

My new motto: "You never know what's going to happen, so go with the flow!"


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Better watch out, Leslie. Talk about an easy way to add pounds.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:09 AM
 
I wonder if the chef will rate Bailey's lattes.

Of course, she'd get five stars.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:44 AM
 
Leslie, I think you and Wilbur ought to team up. Start writing poems critiquing restaurant food. You'll be fine as long as Wilbur doesn't find a way to work nightcrawlers in there.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:47 AM
 
He will.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:22 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home