Thursday, November 30, 2006
 

Big Boy Buck--Part 1


In bow-hunting season this year I decided I'd move my tree stand 'cause it seems Big Boy Buck (B3 for short) is moving over on the west side of the forest near the creek that runs into the lake (well, eventually). I decided to put it in a tree next to the little clearing, figuring old B3 would slip up one these days this season. I get the stand outta the old tree, no problem. Haul it over with my truck that Leslie keeps threatening to send a picture of to "Pimp my truck," whatever in tarnation that is. Get it to the new tree and everything's good. I get it all secure cause I don't wanna be fallin' outta no tree when B3 walks by. I climb up it and notice there's a few branches need to be cut so I can take my shot.

By the time I get all this done, its time to go back to the house and get showered and put my descenter on. By the way, if' your dog ever gets sprayed by a skunk or rolls in dead critter and brings the sweet smell home to ya, use your descenting shampoo. I'm tellin' ya, they oughtta market the stuff that way. Anyways, I get all good and unstinky and head back out to my stand. Well, normally when the deer come in, they come in biggest boy down to the pipsqueak of the bunch, but not always. Sometimes the little guys like to run ahead. So I'm sittin' there and this little button buck comes walking under my stand. I'm gettin all excited now cause maybe B3 is still coming. I pull my arrow out and line'er up and wait. And wait. And wait. Nope. No luck. B3 is nowhere to be found.


While I was doin' all that waitin', there's this danged limb I didn't cut down far enough pokin' me in the ribs. I was lucky B3 didn't come by cause I'm pretty sure I woulda missed him with that limb cuttin' into my side. So, since he wasn't making an appearance, I decided to trim up the limb. Figured I wasn't gonna waste my time huntin the little guys.

I'm making nine kinds of noise and carrying on without concern sawing and whatnot. I tied all my stuff and dropped them on the line down to the ground and I climbed down. That's when I heard it. The cracking of a dead branch on the ground. And wouldn'tcha know my bow's still tied up. If I try to unhook it, it'll make a loud metallic ting and that'll sure 'nough scare away whatever's cracking those branches. So I reach to my side and get my knife and I cut the rope around my bow. I look around to see if I can catch a glimpse of him. I'm hoping it's B3.

I reach for my bow and as I'm about to grab it, I look up and there he is. Big Boy Buck and he's bigger than I thought he was. Danged if he ain't a seven-pointer. Who ever gets to see somethin' like that? I guess I musta been making too much noise in his neck of the wood and he was comin' to investigate. And he found me.


Tune in for Part 2 tomorrow.

-- Jake

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Jake, you idgit, anybody who saws off branches in the middle of hunting deserves to lose his deer.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:27 AM
 
Why would a deer come looking for you? I thought deer ran away from human noise. Must be one interesting speciman.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:28 AM
 
Hunting with a bow--now that's some skill. Next time just leave your saw behind, Jake.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:30 AM
 
Jake, I predict Big Boy Buck is going to be another bit of delectable prey never caught--as in the huge fish you've been trying to catch for years.

I'm beginning to wonder how you ever caught your wife.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:33 AM
 
Well, maybe he caught her because he didn't have a fishing rod or bow and arrow in his hand.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 11:20 AM
 
Poor Jake, everybody's after you today. And all because you just wanted to tell us a story.

Looking forward to part 2. :)
Posted by Blogger Sarah Wray : 11:44 AM
 
Jake, get B3, and we'll put your picture in the paper. Front page. Right, Jared?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:05 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home