Monday, October 09, 2006
 

Pie to the Sky -- Part 1


It's me, Angie Brendt again, and boy do I have a big surprise. But we'll get to that later. First let me tell you about Frank Jr.'s trip home.

After I told you that Frank Jr. was coming home in my last post, he called and told me he didn't know exactly when he would be arriving due to something at work. My heart just fell. I didn't realize how excited I was over his visit. I tried to choke back the tears and keep my voice normal, but he knows me too well. He told me the good news--this change meant he would be staying a little longer since he had some business over in Spokane. Needless to say I brightened up then.

He finally arrived last Thursday night, flying into Spokane. He had a business meeting in Spokane the next morning, so he stayed in town with Melissa, my daughter, and her family. Friday morning at Java Joint Bev kept commenting on how I just couldn't sit still.

I was so excited when Frank pulled up in the driveway Friday afternoon and unloaded two big suitcases, plus his computer bag, and a backpack out of the car. That evening he took me out to a wonderful dinner at Brix over in Coeur D'Alene and we spent some time catching up. Of course, I didn't mention my last entry in this blog and fortunately, he didn't ask.

Saturday morning, Frank Jr. told me to go on ahead and go to the Java Joint with Bev. His best friend, Tom, (they grew up together and have stayed in touch over the years) was coming over and he wanted to just relax and get caught up on everything. After coffee, I ran some errands and then headed home.

When I arrived home, I saw Savannah Elliot driving away in her car. I pulled into the garage and got out of the car and entered the house through the kitchen. As soon as I set foot on the tile, the smell of sugar assaulted me. I froze at what I saw. Pies. Pies on the counters. Pies on the table. Pies on the refrigerator. Pies stacked two and three deep. Then I remembered my post in this blog and started wondering how I was going to explain this one. In that post I invited the single women to vie for Frank Jr.'s favor by bringing him a pie. I was just kidding. I never dreamed anyone would actually show up, but it looked like every single woman in Kanner Lake, and Spirit Lake too, had shown up, pies in hand. I was glad that Frank hadn't announced I was home. I was going to need a little bit of time to prepare myself before I faced my son.


I became aware of voices coming from the living room. It sounded like Frank Jr. and Tom weren't alone. I quietly stepped over by door, pushed it slightly, and peeked through the crack. Frank Jr. sat on the couch, and there was a woman sitting next to him trying to feed him some pie. He kept trying to politely refuse, and she just kept getting closer and closer, putting her hands on his arm, and talking to him. Within a few seconds he was trapped by the arm of the couch on one side and the arm and body of this woman on the other. She was certainly no frail, petite little thing, and she had a deep voice for a lady. They were sitting with their backs to me, so I couldn't see who she was, but trust me, I was starting to get upset by this hussy who obviously couldn't get the hint and back off. I would have walked in and put a stop to the foolishness, but I remembered I still had some explaining to do and didn't have an explanation as of yet. I glanced over at Tom and was surprised that he looked like he was going to laugh out loud. What kind of a friend would laugh at his friend who was obviously in a very uncomfortable spot and trying to be polite?

As I watched, the gal got closer and closer and put her arm around my baby boy. He was practically leaning over the side of the couch trying to get away. Then she pushed it too far and asked him to kiss her to thank her for the pie. I pushed open the door and walked in the room just as this hussy swooped down as if she was going to plant a big one on him. I stopped and watched--and suddenly, off came her hair in her hand.

That's when I realized "she" was a man.



Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Nuh uh!!!!!!!!!!!! I can hardly wait for part II.........
Posted by Blogger midspoint : 9:09 PM
 
Confucious says: Mothers who blog take very big risk.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:11 AM
 
Okay, this is getting GOOD now.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:12 AM
 
AH ha ha! Love it! Bring on part two. And hey while we're at it, I like pie. ;)Girls feel free to bring over any pie you'd like...but please, girls only!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:45 PM
 
Now, that's funny.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 2:52 PM
 
I just want to thank all the beautiful ladies and wanna be ladies of Kanner Lake for showing Frank with pies. It was great fun welcoming my friend back home.
Mrs. B, I had forgotten how funny you are and how you giggle. Has anyone ever told you that you laugh like Goldie Hawn? Thank you again for being such a good sport.
Welcome home Frank - are you up for a cake walk?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 5:59 PM
 
Thank you everyone for the welcome home and the wonderful pies. You too Mom, and thank you for warning me about this post. I am a little nervous about tomorrow's followup, but it's good to be back.
And Mom, please know that I will marry and produce grandchildren for you soon, but I don't need any help...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:02 PM
 
Single ladies, I want you to know that the old adage, "A way to a man's heart is through is stomach" is true. If you've lived here very long, you know that I make the best peanut butter pie around. I've out-lived 4 husbands and am cooking for #5 right now. And how did I reel them all in? It's the food girls. Listen to me, forget all those liberated women ways, at least when you're trying to land your man, and invest in some good cookin lessons. You'll never regret it.
Granny Ellie (95 years young and I still cook for my man)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:14 PM
 
I can hardly wait to read the rest of the story Angie, even though I know how it ends. Your sense of humor is amazing.
I want everyone to know, not only is Angie one of the best dinner companions around, she is also an amazing cook. It will be a lucky man who captures her heart.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:18 PM
 
Oh, my. Angie, hiding my eyes until part 2.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:12 PM
 
What I want to know is--who ate all the pies?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:12 PM
 
I made my honey his first pumkin pie of the fall. He goes crazy over my pie. Never fails.
Posted by Blogger batgirl : 9:11 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home