Friday, October 27, 2006
 

Maybe I Should Have Showered First


Hi, Carla here. You know those days you think you'll just run an errand and not worry too much about your appearance? And you know how inevitably you regret that decision? I had one of those days last month. I was working out over at a gym in Coeur d'Alene. I remembered a great blouse that I had my eye on at a certain store. I wasn't going to be back in town for a couple days and wanted to save some gas by getting the blouse while I was already there.

So, I brushed my hair. A little. And jumped in my car. It was such a nice day I rolled my windows all down. By the time I got to the store, my hair was in wild disarray. You know how when your hair is all sweaty and then it dries. Yuck.

Oh well, I thought to myself, it's Coeur d'Alene. What are the chances I'll see someone I know.

I ran in the store looking for the blouse. I found it quickly and made my way to the counter.


I heard my name called and knew the voice before I even turned around. It was an old colleague. I will refrain from mentioning her name. This is the woman who had me fired from my job when I worked at a large agency in Coeur d'Alene. I’m not going to go into what she did, that's a story for another day. Anyway, she was standing there with this handsome man probably 15 to twenty years younger than she. Clearly together, at least by the hand he had around her waist. She was not only dressed impeccably, her hair and makeup were perfect. There I stood in my workout pants and tank, probably stinking to high heaven--and I had to run into her. Uh, do I have a kick me sign somewhere on my back?

She looked me up and down and smiled. "Well, Carla, look at you. You look just great." Her young man snorted. I so wanted to wipe that grin off her face. So, I did the next best thing. I gave her my best smile.

"You too. And how nice to see you still volunteer for the Big Brother/Big Sister program."

Her glared could have skinned a cat. His too.

Okay, I know it was childish. I just can't help myself. Sometimes I wonder if my sarcasm is going to be the death of me.

So make me feel better. Tell me something childish you've done. (I can't be the only one like that in this world.)


-- Carla

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Ususally, I just THINK the childish thoughts, fantasizing about saying such things. I don't have the guts to follow through! I can relate to the part about being in public, looking less than stellar. Heck, I'm a writer- I spend entire days in my pajamas. Some days that only place I have to go is to the high school to bring my daughter to band practice, so I just hop in the mini-van and take her. In my pajamas. I know one day I'll regret it. At least it'll be something to write about:)
Posted by Blogger batgirl : 4:38 AM
 
Childish? I never do those. Really! :-) Or I just block them all out and hide in denial.
Posted by Blogger Cara Putman : 6:19 AM
 
Lol!!! I think your line was a riot! I have to remember that one.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:31 AM
 
You think Carla's funny, do ya. Try taking her guff EVERY morning--when a man's just tryin' to have a cup of coffee and sit on his stool at the counter without botherin' anybody. I swear that kid's like a burr in the undershorts.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:36 AM
 
And you don't do anything to get her started, do you, Wilbur.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 7:37 AM
 
The good news is, there's two stools at the counter between Carla's and Wilbur's. The bad news is-one of 'em's mine.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:46 AM
 
I can relate to the part about being in public, looking less than stellar. Heck, I'm a writer- I spend entire days in my pajamas. Some days that only place I have to go is to the high school to bring my daughter to band practice, so I just hop in the mini-van and take her. In my pajamas. I know one day I'll regret it. At least it'll be something to write about:)

Janet, you took the words out of my keyboard... thought I was the only one who does that!! Must be a writer thang!!! And I have regretted it, esp. when unexpected family members show up after lunch and give me "the Look".....
Anyway, I thought your response was awesome, Carla!! It's something I would have thought of after the fact!!
Posted by Blogger midspoint : 6:21 PM
 
Shame on you, Carla. One day you'll regret that sharp tongue of yours!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:24 PM
 
Well, maybe, but at least I had the guts to sign my name to my post.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 1:22 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home