Wednesday, October 18, 2006
 

Making New Friends


Hey here, folks. Bailey here again. I can't tell you how good it feels to sit down and take a break. We've had a constant flow of traffic the last few days. More tourists than I've seen in ten years. I know a lot of them are here because of "recent events," and you know I've made my stand clear on that issue, but overall I'm pleased with the sense of respect our welcomed visitors are displaying. Nothing wrong with being curious, but there is a fine line between curiosity and nosiness. Can we all agree on that?

Last week I was really surprised by one wonderful visitor. At first, she displayed mild curiosity about the murder. I whipped up a latte for her and gave her vague responses. I kept thinking she looked so familiar. She had dark short hair and full cheeks--that's my polite way of saying she wasn't a skinny-minny. (Thank goodness, too! I'm so tired of seeing all that. Have you seen those new Gap commercials with Audrey Hepburn and the "skinny black pants?" Oh, don't get me started.)

Anyway, she started to ask me some questions about Edna San and what this community thought of our departed celebrity. Now I'm a firm believer in the saying that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Luckily, I wasn't in that position. I told her Edna had been a "quiet" support to me and my John. You would not believe what happened next. This dear woman crumpled into tears. I drew her to a table and sat her down. As the light from outside hit her face, I suddenly realized why she seemed familiar. It was the actress Kathy Bates! (Yes, this sweet lady said I could share this on Scenes and Beans.)

Ms. Bates (who told me to call her Kathy, but I just can't bring myself to do that.) began to tell me how Edna San used to be a mentor for her. I had no idea! Like she had for me, Edna had been a quiet force in Ms. Bates' life and acting career. We agreed Edna wasn't the most affectionate of people, but she did care in her own way.

She ordered another latte and made herself at home for another hour at Scenes and Beans. I warmed a cranberry apple muffin for her and handed her a copy of our local paper. (Jared and Leslie work so hard. They deserve a little exposure.) Ms. Bates left when her latte and muffin were mostly gone. I think she used the time to prepare herself for driving by Edna's property as a way of paying condolences. (As most of you know, Edna's grave is in southern California.)

My prayer is that Scenes and Beans ministered to Ms. Bates a tiny bit that day. We are all on this walk of life and cross paths daily with strangers. It's nice when we can turn one of our visitors into a friend of Kanner Lake.

-- Bailey

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Mentors are great ... wow, Kathy Bates, eh? She's wonderful. I'm glad you got to be a shoulder and a light.
Posted by Blogger Unknown : 7:15 AM
 
I'm so proud of you, Bailey. Always!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:16 AM
 
I have enjoyed Kathy Bates' career since she won that oscar--I believe for her first film, Misery. (Yes, believe it or not, I saw the movie.) She is a great actress. Wish I could have been at Java Joint to meet her as well.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:47 AM
 
Misery--now that was some movie. Read the book first (Stephen King). Some book, too. Interesting, in the book the "bad guy" woman was older, with gray hair, I think. Didn't look anything like Kathy Bates.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:02 PM
 
Thanks Angie! What a sweet thing to say.

I know it seems a stretch to see someone like Edna as a mentor, but you'd be amazed. Meeting Kathy Bates has been the highlight of my year. She's one of my favorite actresses. Funny how I didn't recognize her right off. She so versitile and looks so different in all her movies.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 5:48 PM
 
Wow, Bailey! What an experience. I'm so green! I love Kathy Bates. She's certainly played some interesting roles. I bet it's might pretty there right now for fall. The colors must be gorgeous!
Posted by Blogger Dineen A. Miller : 5:52 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home