Tuesday, September 05, 2006
 

This Retirement Thing


Howdy, folks. It's Jake Tremaine. I get to be your tour guide again. But first I want to update you on my retirement.

Awhile back some of you kind folks posted comments about different things I could try during my retirement. Some of 'em were right smart ideas. Others need to be taken out back and shot. The only problem is I'd hate to waste a good bullet on 'em. (You tell me what self-respecting, red-blooded American male is going to take up crotcheting!)

Jared suggested I take up boxing. Now I know he was just being smart-alecky, but I gave it a run anyway. Bart Bronson runs a little gym over in Spirit Lake. He tried to teach me a thing or two, but when I hit the punching bag so hard it knocked him on the ground, he washed his hands of me. Guess all those years wrestling with trees made me a muscle machine. (Wilbur may have his scar to show ya, but I've got some rock hard arms on this skinny ol' body.)

Now running track ain't never appealed to me. Partly cause I don't like to sweat that much for the pure sake of sweating. Give me a task or a reason, and I'm your man. But I'd be bored silly after couple blocks. Probably look foolish, too, huffing around town.

Another suggestion was to try woodworking. My pappy was a world-class woodworker. He could craft things with his hands that were so beautiful they belonged in a museum. And he did it before power tools. I wish he was here to teach me a trick or two. I may just try that one. I've got a huge tree trunk out back just crying to be used. But why start with a puny jewelry box? I'm thinking a china cabinet for the missus may be just the thing.

Hmm, that idea's growing on me. I just need to hustle down to the hardware store. All I'd need is a power saw, some nails . . .

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
All you needs a power saw? Jake, my man, you got a few things to learn about woodworking.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:16 AM
 
Jake - each August, we’ve got a celebration called “Crosby Days”. Busted up loggers from all over come out and compete at climbing poles, cutting logs and other lumberjack activities. Join us next year and I’ll buy you a cup of coffee. It won’t be as good as Bialy’s, but it’s tasty.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:32 PM
 
Hmm, men and power tools. Can be a scary combination. But if you spent time wrestling with trees, I'd say you can hold your own. :)

Good luck finding that post-retirement activity that'll float your boat and bring you enjoyment.
Posted by Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton : 2:58 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home