Thursday, September 07, 2006
 

Thank You, Rescuers!


Hi, everybody, Carla Rading here. As of this past Tuesday, I wasn't sure if I'd have anything to blog about this week. Then fate intervened. I was on my way home from Coeur d'Alene Tuesday night. I had met my friend Lisa Warren over there to try a new Mexican restaurant. Which, by the way, was fabulous. Best cheese enchiladas I've had in a long time. Anyway, Lisa lives just outside of town and had already left when I started home. Alone.


By the time I reached the outskirts of Kanner Lake, my car started vibrating really bad. Flat tire. Ugh. I've never changed a tire in my life. Fully intending to call triple A, I couldn't get a signal on my phone. Which we really do need to do something about. That stretch of road outside Kanner Lake is such a dead area. We need a few more cell towers. But that's another story.

So there I was, late at night, all alone. I was more than a little skittish when a sedan pulled up behind me. With all the stuff going on lately, I've already been a little on edge. As a man in his mid forties approached the car, I made sure my doors were locked. I rolled my window down a crack. He asked if I had already called for help, or if I'd like him to take care of the tire for me. I didn't know what to do. Common sense says never talk to strange men on a deserted road. Let alone tell him my phone couldn't get a signal.

He must have seen the fear on my face, because he smiled and waved to someone in his car. Great. Two of them. Once I could see who was walking up, I realized it must be his wife. He said he understood my hesitance and wanted me to know his wife was with him. If I wanted to stay in the car I could pop my trunk and he'd take care of the tire. What could I say? I didn't have many options at this point. While he worked, his wife and I talked. Said they had two daughters. Late teens. Both driving on their own, now. When her husband saw my little compact car and saw that I was alone, he said he'd hope someone honest would do the same for one of their girls if they ever broke down. I tried to offer them some cash, but he'd have none of it. I wish I'd have thought to get their names. I've never seen them before, but I thought on the off chance they read this blog, they'd know how thankful I am. So thank you to the kind man and his wife. After all we (Kanner Lake residents) have been through lately, you showed me there are still trustworthy people left in this world.

Have a great rest of the week everybody, and if you get the chance to do something nice for someone, I hope you will.


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 6:00 AM
Comments:
I'm glad things worked out for you. I always struggle when I see people broke down. I confess I'm afraid to stop. You just never know who to trust anymore.
Posted by Blogger Sabrina L. Fox : 9:34 AM
 
I believe most of the people in this world are helpful. Unfortunately, it's the mean minority who speak the loudest and get all the press.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:42 AM
 
I helped plenty a lady with a flat tire in my day. When I was younger, the gals would end up asking me out for a date (always amazed me how forward they were). Now they just thank me.

Wonder what happened.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:44 AM
 
What happened is you became an old geezer like me, that's what. The only gals that would ask me out now-I wouldn't want to be with 'em anyway. Besides, they'd have to get through the missus.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:45 AM
 
Carla Radling, I'd change your tire any day or night. Maybe for once you'd give me a second glance.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:46 AM
 
Whoa, lookey here. Carla's got an anonymous admirer. Didn't Frank have some too a few days ago?

I got the answer. Carla, get together with Frank. He's, what, only a few years younger? It'd be two singles down with one blow.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:49 AM
 
So, there are a few good people left in this world after all. I’m glad one of them stopped by to help you. But, I understand how you felt. There are a lot of wackos out there.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:14 PM
 
Wow, Carla. That's great to hear. Sad how doubtful we have to be these days. Gone are the days when we can leave our keys or purse/wallet in the car and pop into the store for a quick stop without fearing we'll have everything stolen. (sigh)

I had the same thing happen to me once on a back road...only for me it was something funky with my gas tank. Man and his wife. He pulled up in front of me and turned on the dome light inside the car so I could see it was the 2 of them. The wife got out first and approached to reassure me. The man went for gas while the wife and I chatted and they didn't take a dime for it.

Good people *do* still exist, they're just harder to find because of the few ne'er-do-wells.
Posted by Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton : 2:50 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home