Tuesday, September 26, 2006
 

A Humbling Moment at the Salon


Hi! Sarah Wray here. I'm pleased to see how many of you have stopped by my Simple Pleasures website (
www.simplepleasures-cda.com). Keep on coming, folks! And tell your friends. We love meeting new people, even online.

I thought I'd tell you about a very humbling experience I had last week--a simple hair perm that went awry. In more ways than one!

Feeling the need to perk up my gray hair that I'd let grow a little longer than usual, I made an appointment with our local hairdresser to get a perm. What I was thinking, I'll never know. My hair has a lot of natural curl in it already.

When it was all finished, I gazed in dismay at my reflection in the mirror. I had tight spitball curls everywhere. I didn't even look like myself. What had I done?

The girls in the salon tried to tell me it was a great new look for me. Yeah, right! How gullible did they think I was? In my opinion, it made me look positively fat! Now I know I said earlier that my pleasantly plump figure doesn't bother me, but this hairdo made me look like I'd gained fifty pounds.

Deciding I needed a pick-me-up, I stopped into Java Joint to get a biggie double latte before heading across the street to work. When I walked in, all the usual people were lined up at the counter: Carla, Pastor Hank, Jake, and Wilbur. And S-man was over in the corner, mumbling as he typed. There were a few customers scattered here and there, mostly locals--not as many tourists these days with fall in the air and school in session.

"Hi, everybody!" I greeted them with as much enthusiasm as I could muster, given the new hairdo.

Bailey turned around to face me across the counter. "Good morning! How may I help you?"

"Bailey." I cleared my throat, suddenly self-conscious (definitely a new feeling for me!) "It's me. Sarah."

Her eyes bulged, then she turned pink. "Oh, goodness!" She reached out to touch that awful hairdo. "It's real." She sounded awed. "I mean..."

Everybody else was staring at me.

"Who are you, Little Orphan Annie?" Wilbur gawked.

Pastor Hank started to say something, then closed his mouth. Carla just pressed her lips and said nothing. Even S-man looked up from his computer and said something in English. "Whoa!"

Okay, that was enough confirmation for me. The hairdo was absolutely awful, no matter what those ladies at the salon said. I made an emergency appointment to cut some of it--then see what I could do about straightening the rest.


I'm not a total Little Orphan Annie now, but I'm still half of one. It's going to take a long time to live this little experiment down.


--Sarah Wray

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Why is it that we lose our minds when it comes to hair? My problem is I don't know how to stay away from the scissors! Aren't you glad it grows back?
Posted by Blogger batgirl : 4:17 AM
 
OH, I had a haircut like that once. Feathers around the face compounded with a perm made me look like a poodle. I have destroyed every photo of that style that I could find. It was awful!!!! The good news is that hair eventually grows, and perms eventually relax! Hang in there, Sarah!
Posted by Blogger Cara Putman : 8:40 AM
 
You'd probably fit in down at the junior high. We did a newspaper feature on healthy lunch food last month. I'm telling you half of the kids in the cafeteria had hair that was blue, pink, or orange!
And from what I understand, they do it on purpose. By the way Sarah, you are so sweet you'd be lovely if you shaved your head.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:58 AM
 
My wife got herself one of those crazy perms once. I met her at the door when she came back and laughed so hard I fell over the threshold, landed on my third finger and broke it.

I've always wondered if that was some kind of message from above to me.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:01 AM
 
Poodle hair is cute. On poodles.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:02 AM
 
My hair has always been straight as a stick. Now it's gray and straight as a stick. One time I, too, tried a perm. I did it myself at home to save money. I burned my hair so badly, I had to cut it all off--almost up to my ears. (It was long past my shoulders at the time.) I cried for a month, I think.

Time heals all wounds. And kinked hair. Thank goodness.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:32 AM
 
You poor dear, but I’ve got you beat. Years ago, I made a bet with my Youth Group that they couldn’t get 75 of their friends to attend our next gathering. I lost the bet and had to let them give me a mohawk, which they colored blue.

True story.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 5:45 PM
 
Speaking of shaving heads..........
my youngest daughter turned 24 on September 24th...and to symbolize her golden birthday, and her new beginnings in life (after a broken engagement), she shaved her head. Thing is, she looks like an exotic princess, even though she's Caucasian! Sara, I've been in your shoes, uh, under your hat--well, you know what I mean. Hair grows back, why not really cut it and try a new hair style?!!!
Posted by Blogger midspoint : 6:34 PM
 
Oh, Sarah, I feel your pain. When I was a little girl, my mother decided to "punish" me because I cried out when she took a comb to my freshly washed hair (without conditioner) and tried to detangle it. She threatened me that she'd cut it off if I made a sound, so I bit a towel. Didn't work.

Out came the scissors and the waist-length hair fell to the floor in piles. When she was done, I looked more like my older brother than myself. And to make matters worse, she *permed* it.

Little Orphan Annie? You betcha! And I was 7 years old too! Dad came home and dropped his briefcase, exclaiming..."What have you done to my daughter? I now have 2 sons!"

Thankfully, it grew out and I've never had short hair since. At least you know your bad hair situation is only temporary. Just keep smiling. People won't notice so much. :)
Posted by Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton : 3:58 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home