Wednesday, September 13, 2006
 

The Grandkids at Simple Pleasures


I've been feeling a little under the weather the last few days. I do suppose it's because I'm not as young as I thought I was. Children have a way of making us feel rather old sometimes, don't you think?

Now, don't anyone get his or her knickers in a twist thinking I'm berating the next generation. But if you've been reading this cyberspace diary you may recall my three grandchildren were visiting when I wrote my last post.

I have to say, it was most fun having them around. I so enjoyed how they delighted in even the smallest of things. I took them in to Simple Pleasures, now that the ruckus has died down a little, and although they were very good, I could tell it was difficult for them to keep their hands in their pockets.

Sarah has such beautiful things. Shiny things. Even Christmas things. Why she keeps that fake tree up all year, I'll never know. Poor Abigail thought Santa would be coming soon and wanted to leave Kanner Lake immediately to be sure she was home when the Jolly Old Man arrived. It was rather sad and funny to watch her try to sort it all out in her mind.

Sarah, being the great sport she is, quickly distracted the children with samples of the delicious raspberry caramel sauce. Alexander took a huge dip and had the creamy liquid running down his chin. But one quick slurp of his tongue saved his good dress shirt. I truly didn't know whether to be proud of his ability or embarrassed, but we all had a good laugh.

All too soon it was time to get home and start dinner. That's when I noticed Angela wasn't beside me trying out the sweets Sarah had prepared. My heart jumped into my throat. After the recent events, I do suppose my imagination is still frightfully in overdrive.

After a quick search of the store, we found her. She had pulled herself up on the daybed and was holding a wooden box. Her eyes shone big and bright as she gently tugged a little drawer open. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the box was designed to look like books with titles on the front. When one of the books was pulled, it was actually a little drawer. Angela was obviously enthralled with the item.

Since I had already purchased 4 jars of the caramel sauce--regular and raspberry--with one jar each for Alexander and Abigail, I decided to purchase the delightful little trinket box for Angela.

Now, I don't go too much for public displays of affection and such, but when Angela hugged me and said, "Oh, Grams, you're the best. I'll love you forever," I thought I would barely be able to hold back a tear or two. It made me feel so good, I bought two of those wooden boxes--the second for myself. Every time I look at it a strange feeling of warmth tickles my bones. Sometimes, it truly is more blessed to give than to receive. But I'm sure you know that.

-- Bev Trexel


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Beverly Trexel, who says you're not a total softie?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:51 PM
 
I'm with Burt. I think we oughtta wrap Bev up and hang 'er on the Christmas tree like a sugar cookie.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:51 PM
 
Thanks, Bev, for coming in! Hope your granddaughter continues to enjoy her "book box."
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:40 PM
 
Angela sounds like a cutie.

I keep asking my kids for a grandchild but they just whine about getting married first. Ingrates.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 9:52 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home