Friday, September 08, 2006
 

Gift Certificates--Just the Thing


Hi! It's Sarah Wray.

First I need to tell you that the link to Simple Pleasures is up! Just look to your left--and come visit our Web site. The site doesn't have nearly all the items we have in the store, of course. But you can see a photo of the shop, and a few things for sale. Plus, you can buy a gift certificate.

Speaking of gift certiicates, I have to tell you what happened in Simple Pleasures, this week. A man rushed in to buy a present for his precious wife. How sweet! He stalked through the store trying to decide what to get for her. Nothing was quite right.

I started visiting with him and found out he had been to Java Joint for lunch with his wife. He got into a conversation with Wilbur and ended up in an argument. Neither one saw a way to put the argument behind him, so the man put the whole place behind him and walked out.
I told him I was glad he came here to get away from Wilbur. Really, Wilbur's not all that bad. He just gets a little ornery sometimes.

The man thought for a moment before he admitted that he could've tried harder to stop the argument. He hated that it happened and knew his wife was going to fuss at him when he got back to her.

That was the reason he decided to buy her a gift. To distract her from fussing. But nothing in the store seemed to be what his wife usually bought. He didn't know what to do but go back and apologize.

He trudged to the door with a "Thanks anyway" look on his face. I blurted out, "Have you considered a gift certificate?"

His face brightened immediately, and he stopped two steps from the door. He turned and gazed at me like the cat who held the key to the bird cage. "You're right!" He chuckled. "Why should I steal her joy? She loves to shop. The time I give her to shop will be more of a gift than anything I pick out for her."

The man left with his gift certificate and sent his wife in with a smile that would make Mona Lisa jealous.

She had a grand time shopping. To some people, my store is a playground of possibilities. I could see the wheels turning in her head as she debated between buying things for herself or gifts for others. Before she left with her purchase, she told me her husband had made up with dear old Wilbur. She'd noticed that as she was leaving Java Joint to come to Simple Pleasures, the two men were showing each other their bypass scars.


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Beautiful store, Sarah. Glad you have your link up.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:11 AM
 
Yeah, that's a good saleswoman, figuring out how to meet a picky customer's needs. Good job, Sarah.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:12 AM
 
I love Simple Pleasures, as you already know! Gift certificates are always appreciated. Much better than the dust-collecting bric-a brac we older folks seem to get a lot of.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:00 AM
 
Hi Sarah. Gift certificates are such a good idea. I'd rather get them than anything else almost always. Shopping for us girls is fun!
Posted by Blogger Unknown : 9:01 AM
 
Great idea. When I get in trouble with the Mrs., all I have to do is mention shopping and she forgets all about me.

I’ll check out the link to your shop.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:05 PM
 
Sounds like a smart hubby. At least he didn't get her a GC for coffee. Hey, maybe she should sell those at Java Joint. Does she?
Posted by Blogger Tina Ann Forkner : 4:43 PM
 
Oh, Sarah...the store is beautiful. Very homey and cozy. And GC's are great...when you know the recipient would rather shop than be given a gift they might not want or use. Back home at the bookstore where I work, men come in often and buy GC's for their wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers, etc.

And yes, women buy them for men too. Just not as often. :)
Posted by Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton : 2:41 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home