Wednesday, September 06, 2006
 

Author Stephen Bly, and a Poem from Yours Truly


Good morning. Jared Moore with you today.

All of us blog writers have been bragging on Kanner Lake and Java Joint, and with good reason. This is the best town on earth and definitely the best coffee. However, I feel like I must warn you: When you do decide to visit Java Joint, wait until at least 9:00 a.m. If you come before that, you risk running into the locals when they are still in their "pre-coffee zone." Not pretty. I got here at 7:00 this morning and now it's going on 8:00. So far I've seen Leslie and Carla. Leslie's eyes were such little slits, I kept waiting for her to walk into something, and Carla yawned so much, she kinda looked like one of those fish Hank likes to catch with the mouth hanging open. Wilbur just grunts at everybody until his second cup, and it usually isn't until then that he remembers to zip up his fly. But if you come in and just talk to Bailey, you'll be fine. She's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed even if you come in at 6:00 when she opens.

So, today, once the regulars all got their caffeine fix and woke up all the way, they were talking about what fun it has been to do some writing on the blog. One of them wants to try and get some stories published and a couple of others want to start keeping journals. I think it's wonderful.

I recently had the privilege of interviewing and writing an article about Stephen Bly, a fellow Idahoan. (Visit his web site here.) He lives over in Winchester, a little 300-citizen town. Mr. Bly is the mayor of Winchester as well as the pastor of its only church and the author of one hundred books! The man is 63 years old and still pumping out western novels like crazy. Won some awards for them, too. Anyway, one of the things he said was that he liked to encourage seniors to write if they have the inclination. Said it's never too late to start. I think he's right. You bloggers keep on writing. Keep a journal, write those stories, or join the creative writing group at the library. I think there's some talent here.

In my first post I hinted that I might share some poetry. Well, I'm still not feeling ready to share my current work, but my wife recently found an old work of mine--a poem I wrote about Kanner Lake back when I was in the fourth grade. Old Evelyn Kanner, daughter of the founder, lived way out at the western point of the lake (she and about five hundred cats.) Miss Kanner loved Kanner Lake more than anyone. It was the summer of 1965 and we were celebrating Kanner Lake's 150th anniversary. Miss Kanner held a poetry contest and offered a prize of $150.00, one dollar for each year. The poems, which were supposed to advertise the wonders of Kanner Lake, were printed in my grandfather's newspaper. Here's mine:

If a groovy vacation you want to take,
Come on and visit Kanner Lake.
Want to have fun and even get tanner?
Boat, fish and swim in a lake called Kanner.
If you don't like water, take a mountain hike,
Or ride a horse, or ride a bike.
It's been here for a hundred and fifty years,
If you don't come and visit, we'll all be in tears.

Aren't you all glad I became a newspaper man instead of a poet?

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Who's doing the rhythm mic? I thought I heard rap music while I was reading your poem.

Mr. Moore, I just gotta say
Do your poetry. Yes, rhyme away...
Posted by Blogger Domino : 7:08 AM
 
I've read a few of Stephen Bly's westerns. I've really enjoyed them. Good writer.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:10 AM
 
Mr. Moore, I'd say your poetry is better than some adults' "art" I see today. At least it rhymes.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:11 AM
 
Jared, I think you could write about anything, from what I've seen on this blog. I've enjoyed all your posts. Keep 'em up.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:19 PM
 
Pastor AND Mayor too! A hundred books? Sounds like my kind of man, but he can have the politics.

Nice poem!
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:22 PM
 
Thanks for the compliments guys. You are really TOO kind:)
Posted by Blogger batgirl : 4:36 AM
 
Hmmm. A poetic journalist. It DOES rhyme, I'll say that. And I'm going to be on the look out for that Bly fellow's books.
Posted by Blogger Tina Ann Forkner : 4:40 PM
 
Impressive. Kanner is such a difficult word to rhyme. What can you do with orange?
Posted by Blogger Scrambled Dregs : 5:35 PM
 
Umm...yeah. Jared? I'm thinking newspaper writing is a definite forte for you. *winks* However, for the rhyming aspect, you did a rather nice job. I'm no poet either, so I admire you sharing with us.

As for the locals? I'm not awake that early, so I've never seen anyone before 10am. Might just have to drag myself outta bed to come see. :)
Posted by Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton : 2:55 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home