Tuesday, September 19, 2006
 

Another Critter Story


Last time I told you about a dog story I once had to write. Well, guess what, there are cats in Kanner Lake, too. And they can go missing just like canines.

Mrs. Bonner's Siamese cat was the culprit this time. Jared asked me to interview the owner. I was not enthusiastic since I didn't see it as an important news item. But I couldn't tell Jared that. I needed every story at that early point in my news career. At the same time, I wasn't thrilled about it when I set up an interview time with a sweet-sounding little old lady.

Mrs. Bonner lives in a cozy house with her fifteen cats (!) and many memories of her dearly departed husband Jimmy. Before his death, she had never owned a cat; Jimmy liked dogs, and their last one, Rusty, had run away the day after Jimmy's funeral. (Mrs. Bonner theorizes that Rusty went in search of a new master.)

So how did Aurora Bonner become such a fan of cats? A tourist approached her one summer as she worked in the flower bed in front of her house. He held a Siamese kitten that belonged to his five-year-old daughter, and he told her that although his wife hadn't known she was allergic to cats when they brought the pet home, her symptoms were now too much to bear. He was desperate to get rid of the furry creature (out of sight of the little girl), and he thought Mrs. Bonner looked like a cat lover.

She accepted the kitten on a whim and grew to love feline companions so much that she became a regular visitor to the SPCA. She began to rescue poor kitties that faced euthanasia because of overcrowding at the shelter.

My interview provided so much information about this fascinating lady that it spilled over to a human interest piece that, if I do say so myself, was great!

After that experience, I certainly learned that a good story could be lurking behind any corner. Or cat, for that matter.

Oh, and the Siamese returned home soon after the article ran. Cat probably read the paper and decided she'd caused her owner enough grief.


--Leslie

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Leslie, perhaps you look back rather fondly on the dog and cat days now? A little easier on the psyche than having to cover a terrible murder in one's town.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:42 AM
 
Yup, Lizzy, agreed. (I'll bet no one calls you Lizzy to your face, right?) Still, Kanner Lake's fighting back. It's been two months now--and people are resilient. The town's getting back to normal. Until the hordes descend again for the trial, anyway.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:44 AM
 
And your article was wonderful, Leslie. Thank you.

Oh, by the way, another of my cats has gone missing. Would you mind . . .
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:03 PM
 
You can’t lose with a story about babies or furry critters. I know it was not an easy assignment for a young, ambitious (and cute) reporter like you. But, I bet you are appreciative of such stories now, especially after all the hullabaloo you’ve been through lately.

BTW – should we be expecting a book soon? I hope so.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:39 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home