Thursday, August 10, 2006
 

This 'n' That From Janet


Hi, all, it's Janet Detcher. Nice to visit with you again.

I popped into Sarah's store, Simple Pleasures, recently. My oldest daughter's birthday is next month and I wanted to find something special. I can always count Sarah to have just what I'm looking for--even if I don't know what I'm looking for! (But maybe one of those fabulous oil lamp candles!?)

When you make it to Kanner Lake, you'll have to stop by Simple Pleasures. Sarah will have the perfect memento for you to take home as a reminder of your time here.

Hank had a busy week last week. He went fishing with Wilbur on Wednesday, had a funeral at church on Thursday, coached two KL Cougars games on Friday (our local Little League baseball team). Then he spent a couple hours Saturday morning putting the finishing touches on his message for Sunday. Sometimes we are like ships passing in the night! Such is the life of the pastor.

I talked to Nancy Edwards the other day. She is the wife of our esteemed Chief of Police, Vince. She related a story to me from her daughter, Heather. Heather and her husband have a little girl, Christy--four years old. They live in Liberty Lake, not too far from Kanner Lake.

Nancy told me that last Sunday evening at church, Christy was having a hard time sitting still in church. (They attend a very small church and there is no organized child care in the evening services). So, apparently after several attempts by Heather to get Christy to settle down, she got up and proceeded to carry her out of the sanctuary. But in spite of all Heather's efforts to be discreet, Christy wailed, "Pray for me, people!"

The congregation cracked up. How in the world could you not laugh? Their pastor, who Hank and I know well, is such a good natured guy. He just stopped mid-sentence and said, "Christy, I tell you what. You go outside and quiet down, and we'll pray for you all you want."


It worked.

Yesterday, I ran into Jared, our trusted newspaper man. After I read his first post here, I had to tell him how much I enjoyed reading a bit of his history. I didn't know the details about his grandfather's vision for the news, so it's been great to find out a little more about Jared's family. It's a wonder Jared is still here. I know he could have moved on to a bigger city and newspaper long ago. But he stayed with us and continues to be a great servant to our community. Now he's training Leslie, and, well, you all have seen what that little lady can do.


And now I have chatted enough. Have a wonderful day, all!

Oh. Do tell me any cute kids-in-church stories you might have. I may write them all up some day.

-- Janet


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
That's too funny!

Kids. What priceless moments are made from never knowing what they might say. I remember my nephew was sitting in church making more than a bit of noise. My sister reached over and kinda pinched him to get his attention and tell him to quiet down. At first he just shot her a look of surprise and disgust. Then he loudly proclaims "Jesus saw you pinch me."

Yep, it's impossible not to laugh.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:03 AM
 
I have a story. I heard of a girl in Sunday School who learned about the story of Lot and his wife fleeing Sodom. She came home and was trying to remember the details to tell her mother. She got to the part where Lot's wife turned back for a look at the city and said "And guess what! She turned into a sack of pepper!"
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 9:05 AM
 
Bailey didn't tell us what a pain Blogger can be. I just typed a nice comment for you, Janet, and it disappeared into cyberspace. Thanks for the compliment. Though when I was younger I had New York Times dreams, I have no regrets. Working for Kanner Lake is an honor. A funny article about kids-in-church stories sounds great. If you write it up, send it over. Jared
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:06 AM
 
A sack of pepper? What on earth is that supposed to mean?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:08 AM
 
Funny story, Janet! Reminds me of the time I was three years old, in a little Baptist church in Wyoming. The pastor was a little hard of hearing, and he was known for his fiery sermons. He must have gotten a little carried away one Sunday morning, because I had had it. I stood up on the pew in my little above-the-knee dress and patent leather shoes and shouted, "Don't you yell at me!" The only ones in the whole congregation who didn't think it was funny was my mother and the pastor (who apparently didn't even hear me.)
Posted by Blogger Lynetta : 9:43 AM
 
Elizabeth, as the Bible tells it, Lot's wife, when she turned back to look at the city of Sodom, was turned into a "pillar of salt." The little girl couldn't quite remember that, but "sack of pepper" was close enough, I guess.

As to what "pillar of salt" really means--you'll have to ask someone more theologically minded than I. I'm sure Hank would know.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:33 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home