Thursday, August 31, 2006
 

Kanner Lake Spirit


Bailey here with you today. All this fast action--news trucks, police, nosey visitors from neighboring counties--has left me a little unsettled. In all this excitement, Kanner Lake folks have really united to show our support of Paige. It's my personal prayer that the Good Lord will keep her safe as she goes through this tremendously stressful time.


Now let's put that subject aside and focus on . . . hold the phone. S-man is headed to the counter. Oh, he came to snag a napkin. I also got a stream of Saurian spouted in my general direction. His eyes are glazed so I know he's in that world.

Which reminds me, he got his first taste of fame the other day. I wish I could attribute this visitor to the success of my blog, but I think she's a local from a neighboring county. She said she and her hubbie got lost, but I spied a copy of our paper folded, title out, under her arm. Anyhow, when this couple walked in, S-man was spouting a stream of Saurian in a quiet mutter. The couple's eyes went huge. I explained about our budding local science fiction author and his Saurian world, and they responded by asking when the book would be done. I told them the date was undetermined and, no, he didn't have a contract. I slid them one of my business cards to help S-man expand his marketing plan. Not that he has one. I've read that the best marketing is word of mouth and I think if I tell all you fine folks about a contract, tmaybe you all could spread the word in your circles. Your help could make a huge difference when his novel does sell.

I really am glad to see the resurgence of regular business. It got a little thin after July fourth--and then the tragedy hit, and we had a whole new kind of business. Now August is nearly done. Can't believe it. Sometimes August is the only time families can get away for vacations, and sometimes it's just too hot to bother. Thing about August is, it has no holiday. Maybe we should make up a holiday for August just so it won't feel so bad. What do you think, gang? Can you think up a holiday that we could have in August? Let me know what you'd call it and how you'd celebrate.

On a side note, Wilbur's gone off the deep end again.

A nice lady on her own visiting Kanner Lake for the first time came in, and what do you think he did? Yep, showed her his scar. I've never seen anyone turn so pale in my life. Thankfully Hank was still here so he helped the poor woman to sit down. She'd only come for directions to a B&B up around the other side of the lake and wound up sipping one of my homemade mocha ices and telling us her life story. Seems her husband passed away a few years back from a heart attack. Bless that poor woman!

Seeing Wilbur's scar sent her back in time and to tears. But you know, in the end, I felt like she left knowing she had friends here. Now that's what I call Kanner Lake spirit!

-- Bailey


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 6:00 AM
Comments:
How about National Dinosaur Day? When everyone gets to dress like their favorite dinosaur?

So what was S-man mumbling about?

And perhaps Wilbur should set up his scar as a tourist attraction...
Posted by Blogger Stuart : 7:04 AM
 
Hi, S-Man! I like that--Dinosaur Day. You're too funny.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:51 AM
 
Ah, Bailey, that's so nice, helping out S-Man like that. Poor authors need all the help they can get.

And I'll have to get back to you on the August holiday, though I'm sure my son would vote for Dinosaur Day. :)
Posted by Blogger Unknown : 8:00 AM
 
Oh my gosh, that poor woman. LOL! Maybe Wilbur should be his own touris attraction that way people are forwarned. LOL! Sounds like it all worked out okay though. I'm sure that mocha ice did a world of good, Bailey!
Posted by Blogger Dineen A. Miller : 9:40 AM
 
How about "Ode to Summer" Day? We can gather by the lake and say farwell to summer.

Or, we could institute Kanner Lake Fishing Day. I bet the fellas would really go for that one!

My personal favorite would be some kind of crafty creative day, but look who you're talking to here!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:45 AM
 
I vote for Tell the Biggest Larry Cellaway Story day.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:48 AM
 
What're you folks, idgits? Have a Show the Best Scar Day--and I'll win, hands down.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:49 AM
 
I've always thought that chocolate should have it's own holiday.
Posted by Blogger batgirl : 2:14 PM
 
My vote is for an official Mother's-Day-of-Rest. Mother's Day itself isn't enough, what woman rests on that day? Mother's-Day-of-Rest should be a national holiday where women unite to go to a vacation spot of their choice, all together, for 24 hours. No kids. No husbands. Amen.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:28 PM
 
You all have some great ideas! Wonder if the town would really go for a "Tell the Biggest Larry Cellaway Story." I must say the idea makes me giggle.

If we have a Dinosaur Day, will you come visit in your mask, Stuart? Somehow it just wouldn't seem right without you there.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 1:47 PM
 
That poor lady. I bet Wilbur felt like a bum. It’s a good thing everything turned out alright.

As for an event in August, why not a festival showcasing NW artists? Just a thought.
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 3:55 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home