Thursday, August 17, 2006
 

Dinner With a Friend


If it weren't for the fact that there have been a lot of rumors flying around town, I would be writing a whole different post today. As it is, I think everyone in town is aware that David Clanton and I went out to dinner the other night at a restaurant over in Coeur d'Alene. (David's an old friend I've known for years.) I would have thought the restaurant was far enough away that none of the locals would have been there. Wrong. Turned out to be more like a Kanner Lake convention.

First of all, Pastor Hank and Janet stopped by our table on their way out of the restaurant. They wanted to say hello to David since they hadn't seen him in awhile, but Janet kept giving me this strange look and nodding. I couldn't figure out if I needed to go refresh my lipstick or what?

Then Becky and Jared came up to table, and said hello, and seemed to be waiting for us to say something. Talk about pregnant silences. Finally they left.

Last, but not least, came Bev and her husband. Bev is still pretty upset with me about our little actress pursuit, and this appears to have been her opportunity to get even. David and I were chatting away when Bev walked up and said, "My, I didn't know you two were an item."

Well, you could have painted a fire truck with our faces. Here we are, two old friends who used to spend a lot of time together with our families and late spouses, and here comes Bev, suggesting that we're dating! I haven't dated anyone since I met Frank, and ditto for David with Capi. It was just more embarrassing than I could handle.

"Beverly Trexel," I replied, "What are you talking about?"

"Well," she said, "You two are sitting here all cozy, and after that remark David left about you in the blog the other day, well I just put two and two together."

"Can't two old friends enjoy a dinner and some memories in peace without the whole town butting in?" I huffed.

Now poor David was looking back and forth at both of us, and must have sensed that my temper was starting to get a little riled. He started to speak when Bev cut him off. "Oh Angie, don't get all tied up in a knot. You two make a really nice couple."

By this time I was so incensed I was starting to see as much red as was on my face. I couldn't imagine what had gotten into Bev. Why was she embarrassing me so? At this point David, fine diplomat that he is, finally got a word in edgewise. "Bev, thank you for the compliment. I think Angie is a beautiful woman, inside and out, but tonight we're just two old friends reminiscing. However, we just might keep you guessing."

That was all I could handle. I burst into tears. I'm still not sure why. I can't remember what Bev said, but she made a hasty retreat. Then David got out this silly handkerchief with Larry the Cucumber all over it so I could dry my tears, and I started giggling and couldn't stop. We must have laughed the rest of the night.

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to speak to Bev again, but for now Kanner Lake, you can just keep on guessing about that, too.

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Oh Angie, I'm so sorry about your tough experience. One of the downsides of living in a small town is that everyone thinks that they have a right to stick their noses into everyone else's business! I know, I've been there :). But David does sound like a nice man to know. Glad you were able to laugh together.
Posted by Blogger Marjorie Vawter : 7:59 AM
 
I still say that Angie is the sweetest lady in town, and I know that Bev was probably just kidding. I'm so glad to be back in Kanner Lake after being gone for 10 years. I miss Capi something terrible, but I am glad to be home near old friends and my children.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 1:07 PM
 
I think Bev should be muzzled.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:37 PM
 
It's tough being widowed after years of marriage. Friends should help in the process, not hurt it. I have to agree that Bev's behavior was over the top.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:38 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home