Tuesday, August 22, 2006
 

Big Jonah


Howdy, folks. Yep, it's my turn again. Jake Tremaine.

With this retirement gig I've had lots of time to think about what I want to post. You see, my mind is buzzing with so many ideas, it's like I upset a beehive the last time I went bear slapping. Hmm, maybe I should do that this Saturday. Give me a chance to get out in God's great forests.

Anyway, my wife tells me I'm digressing. Today I thought I'd tell you more about Big Jonah. That's the fish I almost caught. I ain't never seen anything like this before.

There I am standing on the bank with my buddy Jeb (we don't let a little thing like an altercation come between us) and Chief Vince Edwards. Water's crystal clear, sun's shining. It's enough to make a man doze off. Just as my eyes are closing, there's this great splashing in the water. The crystal clearness is replaced by mud being churned up in this thrashing right there by the edge of the bank.

Next thing Jeb and I see is this huge fish with its mouth wrapped around my grandson's basketball. The dumb thing thought it was some kind of food. Can you believe that? Of course its mouth was wrapped so tightly around the ball, it couldn't spit it out.

I thump Jeb on the back so hard he almost coughed his dentures up. "Tell me I ain't seeing what my poor eyes think they're seeing."

He slaps back so hard I almost fly into the water. "You, idgit. Of course you are. Where's my digital camera?"

Now you tell me who takes a camera fishing, especially one of those new fangled digital thingamajiggers. That's the perfect way to ruin a piece of good equipment. Besides, it's a cardinal rule of great fishermen that all photos are taken on the pier. After you've caught the fish.


Anyway, Jeb searched through his cargo pockets but couldn't find his camera. Instead, Chief Edwards ran to his squad car to get his, and then clicked away.

You can say whatever you want, but this time I've got hard evidence to prove my fish story. Don't believe me? Check out
my personal blog and see the pictures for yourself.

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
Those pictures are hilarious! Glad one of you had a camera. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by Blogger Domino : 8:05 AM
 
Ooooh it will be the new direct to DVD sensation "Air Jonah" the tale of the young boy who befriended a giant catfish that eventually helped his water basket ball league win the championship while teaching everyone a valuable lesson!

Or maybe they should make it water polo...
Posted by Blogger Stuart : 9:10 AM
 
If that ain't the dangdest thing. I'd never have believed it.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:23 PM
 
I suggest, Jake, that you start trying to catch this fish with a hoop instead of a fishing line.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:25 PM
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted by Blogger Cara Putman : 7:35 PM
 
Hardy Har, Beth. Wish we'd thought of that. But when you see that huge fish with his gullet wrapped around a ball and thrashing like crazy, well I guess I just aint quick enough.

Never have seen him since. Maybe he's still thrashing round Kanner Lake with that crazy ball crammed in his mouth.

Jake
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:35 PM
 
Ooohh...I can't EVER look at that again!!!

:-0
Posted by Blogger Julie Carobini : 10:24 AM
 
That was one big channel cat. I didn’t know we had those out this-a-way... or was that something else?
Posted by Blogger David Meigs : 1:25 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home