Wednesday, August 02, 2006
 

Angie's Chase--Part 3


So there we were, Bev, Eva Longoria, and I, sprawled on the sidewalk. Red-faced and nearly beside myself with fluster, I managed to shove my hefty body to my feet. I held out my hand to Eva (Bev could manage to get up on her own). "Oh, I'm so sorry! Oh, oh! Are you hurt?"

Eva untangled herself from Bev, assuring me she was fine. Bev said the same. I pulled Eva up, and Bev tottered to her feet, glaring at me with the darkness of a tempest storm. Boy, I did not look forward to being alone with her. We brushed the dirt off our slacks. My elbow smarted something terrible.

Next thing I knew, a blond-haired man was standing beside us, eyes wide. "Amanda!" He was looking at Eva. "What happened? I've been waiting for you in the car."

Amanda?

Amanda looked at the man, then at me. I looked at her, then at Bev. Bev just kept glaring.


Amanda?

Eva (Amanda?) grabbed onto Blondie like a drowning woman just thrown a lifeline. "I'm fine. I guess. I was just . . . getting acquainted with some of the locals."

Finally, I found my voice. "Amanda?" I squeaked. "You mean, you're not Eva Longoria?"

She laughed. "Oh, everybody says that. It's not the first time. But no, I'm Amanda Bellingsworth, a seamstress from Montana, here on vacation." She gave me a look. "Sometimes the mix-ups can be more dangerous than others."

Amanda. A seamstress. Not Eva. I'd chased her, knocked her down. Well, with the help of a fool dog. She was going to think I was totally nuts. She'd think the whole town was nuts. At first I couldn't think of a thing to say. Then once I opened my mouth it wouldn't shut again. I said something about how lovely it was to meet her and I hoped their vacation was wonderful, and really, Kanner Lake wasn't a town full of a bunch of idiots, it just looked like it, and I just knew my friend Bev was going to lay into me the minute we were alone . . .

I'd have kept right on blabbing if Bev hadn't clamped her hand over my mouth. "She IS crazy," Bev declared to Amanda. "It's ALL I can do to keep her in line." Bev pursed her mouth at me and grabbed hold of my arm. "We'll be going now."

And with no chance for another word, she stalked away, pulling me with her. I looked back over my shoulder to give Amanda and her man a tiny little wave. She shook her head at me, and they went their way, and we went ours. Bev didn't let go of my arm until we were in Java Joint. Even then she threatened to chain me to my chair at our table.

We drank our coffees in silence.

Four days later and Bev's still mad at me. Probably because Wilbur won't stop teasing her about it. ("Chasing an actress, who'd a thought?") He's always looking to bring Bev down a peg or two. Anyway, would somebody out there tell her to lighten up? And Wilbur to shut up?

Although it'll be a miracle if either one of them listens.


-- Angie

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
HA HA HA - That is a hilarious story - one you can pass down...the story of how you ALMOST met Eva Longoria!

I was just perusing through the Blogging Chicks and found you - I'll be back.
Posted by Blogger Karmyn R : 8:55 AM
 
LOL! If you weren't there that day, you missed an amazing scene. Never have I seen Bev and Angie so quiet. Everytime Angie looked up to say something, Bev just shot more daggers at her with her eyes.

Angie, I'm sure Bev will get over it. It was an honest mistake. And I'll have a little talk with Wilbur.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 12:24 PM
 
Angie,
Jake is helping me post this (because Bailey sure won't). You know I would do almost anything for you, however, I have waited too many years to get one over on Bev. I hope you understand.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 1:58 PM
 
Angie and Bev, you two sound as though you are such opposites. Must make for a very interesting friendship . . .
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:43 PM
 
I had a friend like that once way back years ago--total opposites, we were. I was always getting him into trouble. What a boring life he'd have led without me.

Wonder where ol' Bart is. It's been so many years. I oughtta look the guy up.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:45 PM
 
Tell you what, a man can develop all kinds of unusual friendships on the battle field. You get put in with folks you may never be drawn to in any other situation, but out there, your lives are in each others' hands. That's the way war is. Makes a bond you don't break, even if you lose touch over the years.

It's good at least to know some of your buddies made it and are still livin' out there, somewhere.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:46 PM
 
I liked this story so much I made it my Post pick of the week!!! Just wanted you to know....
Posted by Blogger Karmyn R : 7:05 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home