Wednesday, July 26, 2006
 

Hello, this is Janet Detcher, Pastor Hank's wife. I'm the last Scenes and Beans blogger to introduce myself. Let me just say, before I tell the story I'd planned to tell, that Hank is particularly busy here, counseling and praying with people, as you can imagine. I've been in lots of prayer meetings myself since last weekend. But Kanner Lake is bouncing back. We've still got a lot of media folks around, but we do our best to make them feel welcome (most of us, anyway).

In Hank's first post, he told you about going fishing with Wilbur. I thought I'd tell you about the first time we met Wilbur and his wife, Trudy. We had just come to Kanner Lake to pastor New Community Church. (Well, Hank was the pastor, that is. I tagged along.) Wilbur Hucks was not attending church at the time, but his wife, Trudy, was a faithful member.

We arrived in town on a Wednesday and spent that day moving in. Exhausted, we fell into bed at about 1:00 a.m.

At about six o'clock the next morning, the doorbell rang. We were both dead asleep. That bell jarred us nearly to death. At first I didn't know where I was, and poor Hank was stumbling out of the bed, pulling on his sweatpants and groping his way to the door.

I lay there, trying to get my wits about me. A few minutes later, Hank came back to the doorway, trying to "comb" his hair with his fingers, and told me, with that crooked smile of his, that we had company! I flew out of bed, grabbed my robe (thankfully I'd found it in my suitcase and had it handy), and walked to the living room to find a smiling Wilbur and Trudy Hucks, coffeepot in hand.

We were quick to learn that Wilbur and Trudy were the unofficial welcoming committee for our church. At that time, Trudy was serving as the church secretary and she took it upon herself to personally deliver the pastor's paycheck.

Wow. He hadn't even preached a sermon yet.

Hank and I were young and inexperienced, and it took us a while to get up the courage to ask Wilbur and Trudy NOT to come at 6:00 in the morning. We finally did ask Trudy if she would just hand Hank the paycheck on Sunday after the service, and could we maybe have coffee at about 10:00 a.m.?

Fortunately Wilbur and Trudy were both good sports, though to this day Wilbur ribs Hank about being a lazy bum, sleeping past 6:00! Over the years we've come to love the Hucks. They are sort of like our surrogate parents, and grandparents to our girls. My folks are in Missouri, and Hank's are gone on to heaven, so Wilbur and Trudy have truly found a place in our hearts.

Now, if you run across Wilbur at Java Joint, be prepared to meet a cranky old man. That's the impression he likes to give, but truth be told, Wilbur is as tender as they come. We'll keep him. Besides, like he told you, "We were here first!" And Wilbur ain't goin' anywhere!


Blessings to all,

-- Janet Detcher

Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 6:00 AM
Comments:
Janet, do you remember me? My daughter was married at your Church last Saturday. You have a wonderful Church. Your husband did a wonderful job with the officiating.

My only regret was the way the news trucks hung out like vultures. I was planning on talking to Carla about buying a summer cabin too, but that will wait. What a circus!

Bailey, that is a first rate coffee house you have there. It was nice meeting the gang.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 9:35 PM
 
Bailey, what're you doing, allowing Janet to talk lies on our blog? And her being a preacher's wife.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:49 AM
 
My aunt married a preacher. Tough job. People always watching to see what you're going to do next. Her husband told some great stories from the pulpit. He always made me laugh. Not that I went to church much. I suppose maybe I should start.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:53 AM
 
I was never a church-goer myself. I still don't quite see the draw. I suppose some use it for their social circles. Can anyone enlighten me?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:55 AM
 
Actually, I'm a preacher's daughter. I grew up in church. Ms. Monty, we do other things there than be social. We go to hear more about God.

S-Man, do you go to church?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:25 AM
 
A pot of coffee at 6 a.m. sounds good to me. You get up past 5, I say you waste half the day.

But I imagine I'd make an exception if I'd spent half the night moving into a new house.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:54 PM
 
Now, Wilbur...which part am I lyin' about?? Hmmm...you DO like to fish; you DID wake us up at 6am when we first came here...You ARE a cranky old man...what else???

We love ya, Wilbur!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:50 PM
 
Are you crazy, Janet? Calling Wilbur "tender" on a public blog? No wonder he's got his knickers in a snit.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:52 PM
 
Hi Curm?, I'm so glad you came by. We sure did enjoy having you stop by. I hope you'll still talk to Carla. Kanner Lake will be back to normal very soon. You'll love it here!

Now Wilbur, everyone has the right to express themselves here. Just relax enjoy the fun. Have another cup of coffee. LOL!
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 3:56 PM
 
Thank you so much Janet for posting this story. I giggled until I dropped. It felt so good to laugh again. I'm trying to remember some good Wilbur stories from when he and Frank used to go fishing. I'm sure I can come up with some 'whoppers'.
Blessings to you,
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:08 PM
 
LOL. This makes me want to hunt Wilbur down and give him a big huge hug. :D
Posted by Blogger Pammer : 7:23 PM
 
Great post, Janet. I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how much I respect you and Hank. I was thinking how you two are kinda like the opposites of me and my reporters-- you know the dirt on everybody, but you keep it to yourselves! By the way, Wilbur, I'm up at 6:00. Feel free to bring me coffee anytime!
Jared
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:43 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home