Tuesday, July 18, 2006
 

Hello from Sarah Wray


When Bailey first asked me to help her out with her blog, I refused. I mean, what could I possibly have to say that would be interesting for someone else to read? I love to talk, don't get me wrong. It's just that I do my best talking to those I know. And I get along great with my customers. But then I can always talk about my merchandise. I'm not sure I have anything worthwhile to say on this blog. But she kept asking, and I ran out of excuses. So here I am.

Oh, I suppose I should properly introduce myself. My name is Sarah Wray. I own Simple Pleasures, the gift shop across the street from Java Joint. My customers like to tell me that they can always count on finding something unusual when they come into the store. And I work hard to make sure I don't get stuck in a rut with the merchandise. After all, if Kanner Lake's residents don't help support this business throughout the year, I'd be out of business pretty quick. So I'm always on the lookout for unique things. Right now, the oil lamp candles are real popular.

If you come to Kanner Lake on vacation, you'll have to come into Simple Pleasures to see the candles . . . right after you get a latte and sandwich from Java Joint. After reading your comments to blog posts, it will be like seeing old friends when you come to visit us!

You'll recognize me pretty easily, I think. I'm pretty short. I'm also a little on the heavy side, and I love to wear bright colors. Never did bother me . . . my weight, I mean. I figure the Lord gave me the body I have, I'll just make the most of it! So the brighter the color, the happier I am. Black, while it may be slimming, is just so depressing!

Bailey and I have been friends for a long time, and I was really glad to see her open up Java Joint. She loves people. And she felt it would be a good way to get to know folks, especially the tourists who come to Kanner Lake year-round. People seem to open up to Bailey. And a great cup of coffee plus a sandwich or pastry helps.

Going into Java Joint is like walking into someone's living room. Bailey makes it so welcoming and comfortable. Although now that I have my nice new helper, Paige Williams, I just send her across the street for my latte. Paige has been working for me for about two months. She's new to town. Quite shy. But, young men, she's single and beautiful! (She's 25.) Has the most glorious eyes. But she doesn't know she's beautiful, if you know what I mean. I like humility in a girl.

If Paige hears about this post, she'll probably want to shoot me, but, well, she knows I just love everybody and wish them the best, including her.

Readers out there--come to Kanner Lake and visit me and Paige at Simple Pleasures! We'll be delighted to see you.


-- Sarah Wray


Posted by ~ Bailey Truitt @ 7:00 AM
Comments:
I’ll be sure to stop by Simple Pleasures when we visit Kanner Lake this weekend.

My wife loves shopping for scented candles (and we have a 26 year old son to fix up with your Paige).

Just kidding.

No, I’m not.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:39 AM
 
Oh Sarah, you just reminded me. I must pop in this week and pick up some more scented candles. When I bought that fabulous one last week I thought the scent would irritate Rick's sensitive nose, but no! He likes it. Now I can really indulge.

See you soon . . . and make sure you have plenty of those candles. I plan to buy up large. :-)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:05 AM
 
Lovely post Sarah. If it weren't for Simple Pleasures, I'd be in big trouble. Every year I seem to be right in the middle of a big story when my anniversary rolls around. Without fail, each year I forget until the last minute, go into a major panic, and crawl to Sarah for help. She always comes up with something that makes my sweetie smile. Thanks Sarah!
Jared
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:34 AM
 
Running a gift shop and pleasing one's customers is a true talent. I watched one of my aunts do this for years. She knew all her customers and went out of her way to sell them what they needed rather than what they thought they wanted. There's a difference, you know.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:37 AM
 
Anniversary gifts. Man, those are tough. And before you buy, you got to remember the date in the first place.

Maybe I've just been married too long. (Don't tell my wife I said that.)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:40 AM
 
Mrs. Wray, you sound like one of my mom's friends. I'd love to see your store. I really do want to visit Kanner Lake sometime, and I'll be sure to stop in.

(I have to visit, because I HAVE to meet S-Man!)
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:45 AM
 
Oh, my, sometimes it's hard keeping my bloggers in line. Jake, I'm going to let your comment stay since it's your opinion, but really--calling Edna San an "old bat" is not exactly kind, now is it?

To all our readers--I have spoken with Edna San myself and really enjoyed our conversation. She has been very gracious to me. It's true she doesn't speak with folks in the community much, but she did move here to retire from the world's eyes upon her. Imagine if you'd spent your whole life being scrutinized as a world-renowned movie star.
Posted by Blogger ~ Bailey Truitt : 8:49 AM
 
Oh good grief Jake Tremaine!
Everyone in town knows who you're referring to and Edna San got famous because she deserved it. She was as good as Betty Davis, and maybe if you'd been hounded by paperazzi, and people trying to get a piece of you all the time, you'd turn sour, too. And I'm not so sure I believe you were using all five fingers when you waved at her. If your wife finds out what gossip you spread on this thing, she'll biff you up side the head and you'll deserve it!

Hi Sarah, nice blog post.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8:50 AM
 
Land's sake, Jake...hummm that seems ta' rhyme, oh, never mind...As I was sayin' Jake, I sorta' half agree with ya'.

Edna is an ol' sour puss...and I'll tell ya' Sarah, I've seen her treatin' your help, real disrespectful like when they were trying ta' be nothing but helpful as far as I could see.

But Jake, behave...no name callin', ya' old coot!

Oh, geez Louise, I was writin' to congratulate you, Sarah...the new quilt display is just beautiful...very inviting!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:03 AM
 
Now Bailey and Martha, you shouldn't be harpin' on old Jake thataway. He didn't say nothing we all ain't said before. Just because he's man enough, or rude enough, to say it in cyberdom doesn't mean what he said's not the God's honest truth. The thing he said that's a dad gum lie is that he put that fish in the slough! I'm the one who put Jonah the Whale of a Catfish in the slough back in the summer of '96. Oh Jake was there alright--dove right outta my 14 foot aluminum boat trying to catch it before it got away. Cried like a baby, he did. 'Course it was only a little bitty feller back then, maybe 6 inches long. But whatever he's been eatin' in there has turned that fish into a world record I expect.
Jake, I'll say a prayer that the good Lord doesn't strike you down for tellin' a fishin' lie. Other type lies are forgiveable but a fishin' lie is whole nuther thing. I expect Pastor Hank will be seein' you in church Sunday--and I'll be out fishin' for Johah!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 11:15 AM
 
Cora, don't treat that girl like a sissy! If she likes bright colors and glitz, what's better than a fishing lure? Spinners, buzz bait-- they even got some colorful rubber worms with glitter in 'em.
You take my advice-that girl wants to go fishing!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:19 PM
 
Cora, I have to agree with Jeb on this and I don't agree with Jeb on much. But what could be nicer than that little girl's aunt spending an afternoon fishing with her. You could pack a picnic lunch and make it a special day for the two of you. I've done it with each one of my grandkids, boys and girls alike, and every one of them enjoys their day with Grandpa. How many of the other relatives will think of such a personal gift. Sorry Sarah, I know you don't sell lures so we may have cost you a sale, but I know you'll appreciate this idea.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:38 PM
 
Cora, I have lovely, glittery bracelets for your niece. I also have rhinestone-studded address books. The girls go crazy over those. Also I have lots of pretty things for a girl's bedroom. Come in and see me!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 5:00 PM
 
Hey, Sarah. I don't know if you remember me or not, but you sold me the cutest little americana wall hanging last year. I get so many compliments on it. I've sent so many people your way--I should get some kinda discount next trip in. LOL. kidding. Love your store. Can't wait to see you all soon.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 5:05 PM
 
Earrings? Phooey! I don't know what kind of dad gum girlie-girl would choose earrings over fishin' lures. Must be a danged Californian is all I can say! Hey Art? Did you hear the one about the 3 Californian's and a broken potato peeler?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:08 PM
 
Now Jeb. Some girls have different likes and dislikes, that's all. There's nothing wrong with that. Earrings sound like a fine gift to me, ladies. I'm sure Sarah will set you up with some real sparlies, Cora.
Jeb, you can tell me about the Californian's and broken potato peeler later. This isn't really the place for it. By the way, how did your colonoscopy go?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:15 PM
 
Sarah, I'm so glad you don't wear black. It just doesn't fit your personality! Being roly poly myself, I like those bright colors. They can see me coming!
Posted by Blogger eileen : 6:22 PM
 
Great globs of gravy, Art! What the heck're you thinkin'? You don't go blabbin' about a mans bowels to the whole danged world. Good grief! You lecture me about tellin' California jokes, then ask about my butt's medical testing in the same breath? It turned out fine I expect, but it weren't no fun, that's for sure. How about your dialysis?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:37 PM
 
Hmmm...I see what you mean, Jeb. It is a little unnerving having your medical problems discussed in public, isn't it? I think I'll shut this thing down and watch a little T.V. You folks have a good night.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:59 PM
 
Sarah, you did a wonderful job of posting. I found it quiet interesting. I can't wait to come check out your store and meet you and Paige. I love unique items and bright colors. And I like that you are comfortable with yourself the way you are. Some of us would do well to learn that. :D
Posted by Blogger Pammer : 8:40 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home